Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter shutter, narrowing it down...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Converter shutter, narrowing it down...

I've read a lot about this, and every vehicle that has shutter has had a different fix. After a moderate cam swap, heads, exhaust, etc. I installed a built 4L60E with a custom 9.5 converter, about 4500, with a large clutch. I babied the car to break everything in and get some heat cycles; had shutter (sounds like something out of balance) accross the board. Transmisson had some problems like no reverse, which is a story in it of itself, so I sent it back in and bought a performabuilt lvl 2 (which is awesome, btw) and figured all would be ok.

...New trans, same shutter. So I got it tuned, which subsided some of it, however shutter is still there at various rpms and speeds. Its worst when I give it gas to maintain city driving speed after I've had to let off (locked up or not) Lockup is set above 40 mph in OD only. It progressevely gets worse, and soon the trans temp is rising and 1st gear acts as if its slipping, takes way too much throttle to get going. Checked the converter bolts on both installs to both transmissions.

Tuning helped a little, so it may just need a little more work...but I'm afraid I may have done some damage to the converter with all the driving for troubleshooting, so I'm not sure what my next action should be. The nearest tuner that I trust is 6 hrs away, so thats another wrench in the machine.

I'm working on getting more info from the tuner which may help...

...suggestions?

Last edited by lowprofile; 11-04-2008 at 05:14 PM.