Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's going on with my Tranny??!?!?

Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's going on with my Tranny??!?!?

Okay guys, i've posted up once or twice before about some transmission problems i've been having, but today something very new and sorta scary happened coming home from the gym. I'll go ahead and list everything that's going on with my Tranny (1998 A4 btw). So, driving it on speeds about 50mph or higher in OD, it feels like the converter keeps popping off and the car will free-rev all the way up till redline. When i manually shift it into 3, it kicks in no problem and doesn't slip out. Then i can stick it back in OD a few seconds after and it will be fine for a while. Also, under acceleration from lower speeds, i feel a sort of "grinding" or "rubbing" feeling from somewhere under the car. I'm almost positive it's the transmission. Well, today coming home from the gym, i pulled up into my driveway which is on an incline. I was sitting with the car in gear it idle with my foot on the brake, and i was getting the same pulsating "grinding/rubbing" vibration that i get under acceleration, except now it's really strong. I put the car in Neutral and it went away...then i slowly revved up the engine to see if the engine was causing it and it was fine. Then i put it back into gear and it started up again. It feels like the transmission is grabbing or something and struggling to hold the load that the engine is putting on it. What in the WORLD is going on with this thing?!? I've been having nothing but problems with it and i can't figure it out.

Also, for some background info, i got the tranny fluid changed not long ago and there was nothing in the pan. Also, i had the car on the dyno not even 1000 miles ago and it pulled a 318rwhp with just full exhaust and lid, so i dont think the transmission itself is slipping. Think it's a bad or lose converter?? Somebody PLEASE help me, i'm desperate to fix this thing.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Since you can pull down into d and fix it I would say its a failing input sprag you are going to need a trans soon

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-05-2008, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

....#*@$
Old 11-05-2008, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

So you dont think that this is something that is fixable, or is it not even worth the price? Also, i must note, that the car seemed to "slip" out of gear at highway speeds for over a year now...now things are just getting worse. I just want to know if i can fix it before i start saving for a new transmission
Old 11-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Sounds like the 3/4 clutch pack slipping in the transmission. You don't have to necessarily buy a new transmission, but to fix the problem the transmission needs to be rebuilt. If you plan on making more power (500+whp), you will need to either build your 4L60E transmission, or swap for a T400(3 speed) or a 4l80E(4 speed). A properly built 4L60E can go low 9's or better.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Yeah i have a bad feeling that a rebuild is what i will need...but they are so expensive, i might as well do a T56 swap (since that's the only thing i couldn't get with this car when i bought it). Another thing, if it's the 3/4 clutch pack, would it do that grinding/pulsating thing sitting at a light with my foot on the break, and when i accelerate? Seems like it's a bit more than that...Also i don't plan to make more than 500rwhp anytime soon, so a regular rebuild should be fine for now.

oh and another update, the car now has a squeakish chirp when it shifts past a certain amount of acceleration. Any thoughts??
Old 11-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Launching!

Without driving the car it would be hard to find the extent of the damage to the transmission. Even then, without opening up the shell it's impossible to know the exact cause of problem. The last time I had a 4L60E rebuilt, it was back in 2001 and I was charged $700 for parts and labor. This was a regular rebuild not a performance rebuilt. My advice, since you don't plan on making over 500+whp, shop around and find the cheapest and most reliable shop to build your 4L60E. A T56 swap is $$$$, look into it, you'll probably spend less on a built 4L80E. I had a T/A with a T56, when you start making over 500whp, those will start to take a sh*t on you too. If it's not clutch slipping it's the slave cylinder or master cylinder f*cking up or the throw-out bearing taking a sh*t on you. Inquire about rebuild prices and if that's too much, start shopping for a T400/4L80E. BTW, the grinding/pulsating noise can be a variety of things.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

What are good parts for the 4l60e? I mean Im having the 3/4 clutch slippage problem also, and I need to know where to buy my rebuild, and I also need to know what to buy, can someone link me to a good thread that explains what to buy?! and which brand?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

When i got my car tuned about a month ago, i told my tuner about it and he mentioned that a common cause of this could be from the computer sensing a slight misfire (not getting any codes though, but he said it doesn't have to) and he told me that when this happens, the converter pops loose. He tuned it to make it less sensitive, and it seemed to help when he did it...now it's a bit worse. Think that this could be the problem? I think i will try tuning it out completely and see if it slips. But i still want to know if there are any other suggestions. This is my DD so i'm working on getting this fixed soon!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

DAMN, this could be my problem, because I don't have 02 sensors yet and my car is misfiring all around... cause I just finished this swap into my 240sx... if this is true... Im going to ****** be very happy... cause I truely have no money for a rebuild now and I was waiting for around 1.5 year for my car to finish!!! (university student)
Old 11-09-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

any more feedback on this whether it could be true, or has it ever happened with anyone?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

I've heard it from a few people before...but we definitely aren't getting much feedback on this thread with other ideas or thoughts...

Come on, there must be a bunch of Auto-tranny experts out there.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

yeah comeon guys show up whereever u are
Old 11-10-2008, 06:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't think your getting more answers because the most likely and I would say definite cause of the issue has been stated.
And not knowing the full extent of the damage until torn down is also true.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-15-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

ok, suddenly my 3rd gear started working... I was surprised "BUT HAPPY" anyhow I still didn't install my 02 sensors... and my car seems waaaay under powered... I mean it dosn't even spin in first gear... (240sx ls1 swap 4l60e tranny) could all that power loss be from my 02 sensors? I personally doubt it, but I've never encountered a situation where I've actually unplugged the 02's and compaired...
Old 11-16-2008, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

oh yes your 02's can cause for a HUGE loss of power. Before i got my car tuned after I installed my longtube headers, my 02's were causing my car to run like crap...and then one of my 02's actually malfunctioned because the wire melted up against the header pipes and burned right through. My car wouldn't spin the tires at all, and acceleration was simply pathetic. I will bet my money that the same thing is happening with your car. Get the 02's taken care of and you will get all that power back!
Old 11-17-2008, 06:14 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the reply... cause some people are running without the damn sensors and still having good power... thats why am surprised why is it that in some cars they perform like **** and on others have no effect what so ever... weird... anyhow I bought my 02's today tomorow I will be installing and giving feedback!!!

Search this Thread