Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing shift solenoid A and B in a 460le

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Where did you get this pic from...?

Do you have one without the yellow circles...?

Originally Posted by 98Z28importslayer
These are the A and B solenoids right ? (circled in yellow)
Old 01-14-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swapped them out today. both solenoids cost me about $50 with tax at the dealer. Did the job topped her off and she's back to normal. Thanks Vince.

BTW.... I find it frustrating that a $25 part cripled my truck.... I'm just saying.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:42 AM
11 Second Club

So I am throwing a code for solenoid A performance stuck off. I just purchased a 4000 stall that I will be installing this spring. Do I still need to replace the solenoid when I put in the stall or just have it tuned out when I get the tune adjusted for the stall. I saw some people were saying to tune it out if the car is stalled. Is that the fix I need? The tranny seems to shifts fine with the code thrown btw.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:47 PM

Thanks for all of the info, I just replaced a shift solenoid (2/3) on my suburban it is now shifting fine... I do have a question (not sure if its related), If I put it in D the transmission gut growls and will not move. I can shift (all of the gears) If I start out in either 1 or 2 I can than shift to D and it works fine until I stop. It seems to be 3 that is the problem. Any suggestions???
Old 11-20-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the detailed explanation there Vince, great help!

Also found a pretty basic youtube video of the solenoids too, you can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGckmJK2rNQ

I'm dealing with this solenoid issue right now as well. Was driving in stop and go rush hour yesterday when the truck threw the SES light... Had it checked at autozone on the way home, and it was PO757, shift solenoid B stuck on.
Caught me off guard in a left-hand turn lane when I went to go it felt like it free rev'ed!

Anyway, I just read in a GM service bulletin that this (PO757) may be a big indication that the 2-4 band and/or 3-4 clutches may be damaged and causing debris to get stuck in the solenoids...

Can anyone confirm if there is much truth to that?? Really hoping not!!

Oh, and I do have a 3600 stall in this, but I don't think that is related to my particular issue since my trans definitely showed symptoms when it threw the code.

Going (or should I say limping) to the dealer today to get the solenoids and then some fluid.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:26 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tlundeen
Thanks for all of the info, I just replaced a shift solenoid (2/3) on my suburban it is now shifting fine... I do have a question (not sure if its related), If I put it in D the transmission gut growls and will not move. I can shift (all of the gears) If I start out in either 1 or 2 I can than shift to D and it works fine until I stop. It seems to be 3 that is the problem. Any suggestions???
With a no movement in condition in the OD or D range I would suspect that you have an input sprag that has failed. Feel free to give us a call if there is something we can do for you. Vince

Shredsled I think your issue might be able to be corrected with tuning. Most guys running a high stall converter have had the same issue as what you described. What happens is you computer thinks you have a slipping transmission because the slippage from the converter you are running. Basically the factory tune looks for certain parameters of engine RPM and vehicle speed. What happens when this code is thrown is the computer sends the trans into a limp mode condition with 3rd gear starts. The common codes that are reported are PO751 and PO757. To correct this the code needs to be cleared in your computer and then the test for the code needs to be deleted via tuning software. I hope this helps and fixes your issue. Vince

Last edited by FLT; 11-20-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:04 PM

Default A&w shift solenoid

Are the shift solenoids for a&w the same solenoid?
Old 05-19-2021, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

First off...I see this is your first post...and you likely joined the forum today...and you've brought back from the dead an 11 year old thread.

Second...a&w?? you trying to have a root beer?

I'm assuming you mean A and B...but the B and W aren't anywhere near each other on a keyboard so I'm a bit confused.

If you did mean A and B...yes...in a 4l60e they are the same solenoid.
Old 05-19-2021, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,204 Likes on 844 Posts

OMG!

Again!?!?

Quick Reply: replacing shift solenoid A and B in a 460le