Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ooops, Houston we have a problem

Old 11-29-2008, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ooops, Houston we have a problem

4l60e. original in a 98 camaro. slight mods nothing fancy maybe 325 to 345 at the crank. Drove fine for a year or so then one day i noticed the 2-3 gear change is lazy just driving and fine at WOT. then later one time at WOT it wouldnt hit 3rd at all. only did that once though. 2 months of a slow 2-3 gear change and all of a sudden it will hit the high gears and drive down the freeway but if i give it any power it slips horribly then slowly over a few seconds grips down and accelerates. I can punch it through 1 and 2 then take my foot off the gas let it get into 4 and give it a freeway cruiseing amount of throttle and its good. 1st and 2nd are as tight as theyve ever been, if you dont hit 3rd youll never notice a problem at all. fluid is burnt but ive seen worse, clear but brown. 129,000 miles.

Im not drivin it now, i was on a diagnostic run one evening and somebody was nice enough to leave dirt and mulch all over the road. whacked a curb, new rearend and two new wheels. Im pickin up a stock 10 bolt and a set of 5 spoke c5's tomorrow but i gotta get this f*****g tranny straitened out. If its comin out its gettin upgrades for sure but im tryin to figure out if the whole thing is junk or what?

Any Ideas?
Old 11-29-2008, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PS ive had my line pressures bumped and the rev limiter and shift points bumped too. just a little and by a reputable shop. they told me it wouldnt hurt it one bit and honestly i didnt notice hardly any change.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm no expert, but I would definately be getting ready for a swap.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes sounds like you will be rebuilding or replacing very soon.

Call 888-744-6542

Search this Thread