Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e swap and possible vibration issues with tranny crossmember torque arm mounting.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 4l80e swap and possible vibration issues with tranny crossmember torque arm mounting.

I had a spohn chassis mount torque arm but have to get rid of it do to it being too low on my lowered car.
I went to a crome moly full length bmr torque arm with their crossmember for my planned 4l80e.

Now been reading of some guys getting bad vibrations from their trans crossmember mounted torque arms and wondering if this is going to be a problem.
I hate vibrations and noises. That was one reason getting rid of my m6 hate the shifter rattling when you step on it. I plan to use rubber trans mount unless they keep breaking.

So do you have noticeable vibration from your tranny crossmember mounted torque arms? How bad say out of 10 with 10 being unbearable and zero being like stock for vibration.
I obviously have to either mount my torque arm off the tranny crossmember or on the chassis since dont' think there are 4l80 torque arm mounting options on the trans? and would think at my power levels could break the tailshaft off.

I guess 4l60 guys can also give me their experience if they have moved the torque arm to their trans crossmember as they are both autos.
Not as interested in m6 guys as the m6 has a lot of vibration anyway compared to autos.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine running on jack stands, stuck in 1st gear. There were no vibrations like this lol.

I'll let you know how it is once a go for a ride in it. (Maybe Sunday)

My set up is 4L80 with a OEM rubber M6 trans mount, a Yank crossmember, and a BMR full length TA with a poly TA bushing.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Adjustable TA....what driveshaft ? stock or aftermarket and if aftermarket what brand and type..

What rear end?

I know pinion angles can cause a lot of vibration as well if they are not right.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock drive shaft with a 32 spline Spicer yoke. Stock rear end.

I have a 9" rear waiting to go in. When it's in I plan to measure for length and get a Strange 3" chrome moly drive shaft.

I think we can expect some increase in noise and vibration regardless of short or long TA. I just hope it's not too bad with the long TA. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

mine is fine. I have UMI full length TA, BMR crossmember, With rubber tranny and poly TA mount. 80e swap, stock DS, Spicer 1350 yoke.

Quick Reply: 4l80e swap and possible vibration issues with tranny crossmember torque arm mounting.