Register Forgot Password?
Search

Automatic Transmission
4L60E | 4L80E | TH350 | TH400 | TH2004R | Powerglide | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by
PerformaBuilt Transmissions

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to badburban
Default 4L60e - Endplay issues

Im building a 4l60e and having a problem with endplay on the front half of the trans. Back end has good endplay (.016 ish) The front end is from another trans, I put the new thrust washer in the input housing that rides on the sun gear in the front planetary,put the thickest selective washer I had (.125) under the torrington on the top of the input housing (around the input shaft) and then assembled the pump into the casing. I some how have about a 1/4" of end play. I thought wow, well Ill try another input housing and pump i had left over from other builds, still the same problem. I've verified correct install of the bearings, but still have alot of end play. What are you thoughts, where should I be looking. I compared the sun gear to others I had laying around and the height appears correct. I've had the front end in and out of the trans probably 15 times double checking everything. I've built quite a few 60e's but I am out of ideas.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Josh
Old 12-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 24
Send a message via AIM to performabuilt Send a message via MSN to performabuilt Send a message via Yahoo to performabuilt

I dont know what to tell you there 1/4 inch is a lot something has to be missing some where
570-578-5686
2yr Wrty Trans/conv combos. $995 Refresh after wrty, No Core , Dyno test.$50 off trans if "LIKE" us on FaceBook ! Trans now ship 1-5 business days of order. Click logo for website.
performabuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
On The Tree
Garage is empty, add now

Did you change the sun shell to(or from ) one of the aftermarket type . The rear sprag race on some aftermarket type shells is ground/cut down to make clearance for the bearing that they add . You say that your back half clearance is ok . What are you refering to , there isn't really a good way to check that clearance unless you are thinking it is ok because your output shaft snap ring goes in ok . I would make sure you tear it down all the way to the rear bearing and see if you have a bearing missing .
Most factory parts are made with a very close tolerance and will usually interchang with very little effect on endplay!!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
Hemi Premium Sponsor
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 7

I have to agree with John and Frank here. You have to have something missing. As John mentioned you probably have a bearing or a washer missing in the rear of that unit. Vince

BTW Hi John!
Vince @ FLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor
Garage is empty, add now

wow lol .250 clearnce that is about the thickness of a bearing does your unit have a bearing on the back of the front planet to the shell instead of a washer you may have left that out or maybe you used a different planet ring that is made for the bearing make sure for some weird reason the bearing in the planet carrier is not missing and you have a bearing under the planet carrier between the ring and the carrier

Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or Click Banner for Website.
Not Just Built.....PerformaBuilt!

performabuilt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

do you have the thrust washer that goes under the pump housing ?
slagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

Hey man did you figure this issue out? I'm having the exact same issue and can't find anything that could be missing. I don't feel comfortable shimming something that much and possibly throwing something off.
lt170chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:35 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
4l60e, carrier, check, end, endplay, endplays, excessive, front, input, output, play, pump, ring, shaft, snap