Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60e - Endplay issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L60e - Endplay issues

Im building a 4l60e and having a problem with endplay on the front half of the trans. Back end has good endplay (.016 ish) The front end is from another trans, I put the new thrust washer in the input housing that rides on the sun gear in the front planetary,put the thickest selective washer I had (.125) under the torrington on the top of the input housing (around the input shaft) and then assembled the pump into the casing. I some how have about a 1/4" of end play. I thought wow, well Ill try another input housing and pump i had left over from other builds, still the same problem. I've verified correct install of the bearings, but still have alot of end play. What are you thoughts, where should I be looking. I compared the sun gear to others I had laying around and the height appears correct. I've had the front end in and out of the trans probably 15 times double checking everything. I've built quite a few 60e's but I am out of ideas.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Josh
Old 12-17-2008, 10:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I dont know what to tell you there 1/4 inch is a lot something has to be missing some where

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-18-2008, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

Did you change the sun shell to(or from ) one of the aftermarket type . The rear sprag race on some aftermarket type shells is ground/cut down to make clearance for the bearing that they add . You say that your back half clearance is ok . What are you refering to , there isn't really a good way to check that clearance unless you are thinking it is ok because your output shaft snap ring goes in ok . I would make sure you tear it down all the way to the rear bearing and see if you have a bearing missing .
Most factory parts are made with a very close tolerance and will usually interchang with very little effect on endplay!!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:08 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with John and Frank here. You have to have something missing. As John mentioned you probably have a bearing or a washer missing in the rear of that unit. Vince

BTW Hi John!
The following users liked this post:
Elmr28 (01-25-2024)
Old 12-18-2008, 05:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

wow lol .250 clearnce that is about the thickness of a bearing does your unit have a bearing on the back of the front planet to the shell instead of a washer you may have left that out or maybe you used a different planet ring that is made for the bearing make sure for some weird reason the bearing in the planet carrier is not missing and you have a bearing under the planet carrier between the ring and the carrier
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.
Not Just Built.....PerformaBuilt!

Old 12-18-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

do you have the thrust washer that goes under the pump housing ?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man did you figure this issue out? I'm having the exact same issue and can't find anything that could be missing. I don't feel comfortable shimming something that much and possibly throwing something off.

Quick Reply: 4L60e - Endplay issues