Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PI 9.5" triple disk vs. CircleD 9.5 triple disk

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PI 9.5" triple disk vs. CircleD 9.5 triple disk

So....I bought the budget 11" converter from CircleD, it's sitting here in the box, but I'm regretting it now. I think I want to go for a much more performance oriented stall...if I add a stall I might as well do it right. Anyways, the reason I went for the 11" was I tow sometimes in the summer, not much maybe 3-4000lbs and I thought a smaller converter was out of the question.

Then I got this reply over on PT.net

From what I understand there is a little more parasitic loss with the 10.5 than the 9.5. There is more mass for the engine to have to spin therefore resulting in loss of horsepower to the rear wheels. I can't imagine that there is a lot of loss but there would be some. I have a vig 3200 triple disk and tow with it all the time and the only real issue is the trans temps are a little hotter that I would like to see, like 180 when I really demand a lot of the trans. Maybe the 10.5 would create less heat but I don't really know.

My setup is a 2000 gmc 1500 2wd, bolt on lq9, stage 1 prc ls6 heads, 4.10 gears/trutrac.

I was thinking of going with a 3200 stall speed. Whatever I get, I want something that isn't going to drop rpm's a lot on the shift. From what I've read PI is generally considered the industry standard, but I've yet to read a single bad thing about circleD. I was very happy with talking with Chris from circleD on the phone.

Maybe someone could also comment on the 9.5" vs 10.5" issue as well. As I understand, 3000 is the max stall speed from a PI 10.5"

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PI has lots of multi plate converters out there.
not sure about Circle D Sales
But your set up is not in need of a multi plate converter
call me if you want some input on this matter
Dave 775 826 9955
Old 01-25-2009, 07:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

if you are towing you may want to stick with the larger converter for the lockup cutch. more surface area
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.
Not Just Built.....PerformaBuilt!

Old 01-25-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know it doesn't need one, but it's only $300 more so I might as well get it, then I won't have to worry about upgrading anytime in the future.

here's another reason I want the triple disk

"
My previous converter was a single disc 2800 stall Vig, and I have to say the lock up on the triple disc feels much stronger, shakes the whole truck. When I went to the 3000 stall with my new built trans, my ET's dropped almost .4 in the 1/4 mile.......""
Old 01-26-2009, 03:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

PI builds a really nice multi disk and have been doing so for many years. I just started selling mine a little over a year ago, but have had great success with it. The Circle D Multi is more of a custom piece I make in house. Probably overkill, but that is why I made it. As far as the idea of you "needing" it, that is up for debate. I would suggest a 258MM diameter with the multi disk front. It will have excellent street manors and still flash 3500+ and have good shift extensions. You could also get the 245MM version, better performance but will be a little loose in a truck on the street. But I have a lot of guys running 245MM in trucks with great success. Most go single but never pull anything. If you get the multi disk and a nice cooler you should be able to tow just fine. You could get a trans temp gauge to monitor everything, added insurance.

Chris
Old 01-26-2009, 05:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt2
if you are towing you may want to stick with the larger converter for the lockup cutch. more surface area
i'm no expert but wouldn't a triple disk have more clutch surface area than the larger diameter single disk? Isn't a triple disk converter same idea as a multi disk clutch in a manual trans car? Not trying to hijack the thread but i think some of this info could help the OP.

Also OP don't rule yank out they've been making converters for quite awhile too. Dave knows his stuff. Call him up and tell him your combo and he can recommend his best converter for how your gonna use your truck.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by BadBandit69
i'm no expert but wouldn't a triple disk have more clutch surface area than the larger diameter single disk? Isn't a triple disk converter same idea as a multi disk clutch in a manual trans car? Not trying to hijack the thread but i think some of this info could help the OP.

Also OP don't rule yank out they've been making converters for quite awhile too. Dave knows his stuff. Call him up and tell him your combo and he can recommend his best converter for how your gonna use your truck.
was comparing to a single disk 9.5
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.
Not Just Built.....PerformaBuilt!

Old 01-26-2009, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt2
was comparing to a single disk 9.5
whoops sorry bout that
Old 01-26-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Circle-D
PI builds a really nice multi disk and have been doing so for many years. I just started selling mine a little over a year ago, but have had great success with it. The Circle D Multi is more of a custom piece I make in house. Probably overkill, but that is why I made it. As far as the idea of you "needing" it, that is up for debate. I would suggest a 258MM diameter with the multi disk front. It will have excellent street manors and still flash 3500+ and have good shift extensions. You could also get the 245MM version, better performance but will be a little loose in a truck on the street. But I have a lot of guys running 245MM in trucks with great success. Most go single but never pull anything. If you get the multi disk and a nice cooler you should be able to tow just fine. You could get a trans temp gauge to monitor everything, added insurance.

Chris
Thanks for the reply Chris. As of now my truck has a tiny factory cooler but I will be adding a Tru Cool 40,000 gvw cooler. I believe that's the biggest I can get.

Regarding the 9.5 vs. 10.5, I didn't see a 10.5" listed on your website. I've read that the maximum stall speed for a PI 10.5" is 3000. How high can you stall your 10.5"

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The 258MM is actually a 10.25". I can get it to ~3500, depends on application. That cooler should do the job.

Common Converter sizes - FYI
300MM - 12" - Stock LS
298MM - 12" - Stock LT
278MM - 11" Stock TB I6
265MM - 10.5" - 4T80 - Cadillac
258MM - 10.25" - 4T65E
245MM - 9.75" - 4T60E
230MM - 9" - Old School - commonly called an 8" ???

Probably a little to much info, but it might shed a little light on the subject. Each converter has its place, their are pros and cons to all of them.

Chris

Quick Reply: PI 9.5" triple disk vs. CircleD 9.5 triple disk