Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 4L60E Tranny Swap in LS1 Wont Move

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 4L60E Tranny Swap in LS1 Wont Move

i just installed a rebuilt 4L60E transmission from a well recognized transmission shop here in my hometown. i own a 2000 camaro LS1. i installed everything correctly as a transmission installer friend of mine helped me put it in. the problem that i am having is it just wont oull off. it seems like it goes into gear it just wont go. i did have to re-use my old torque converter because the one that tranny shop gave me was too small, definitely wouldnt have worked. could that be the problem. my transmission installer friend says that it seems like the tranny shop didnt install a new front pump. he said that even tho we used the old torque converter it would still pull off if the old one was bad. any replies would definitely help out. i do have a 12 month warranty on it thank goodness. i just want some peoples opinions so that he dont come up and say it was installer error and he aint warrantying it. i am just so ready to chew out this tranny shop for selling me a faulty tranny, it is just that i have only had great reviews about them.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Unhok a cooler line and start car you may have broken pomp during install

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-07-2009, 11:47 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the pump is not broke make sure that they installed the correct input shaft and also the correct stator shaft. I have seen happen before. Was the unit Dyno tested? Vince
Old 02-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Launching!

if the pump was broke during install how would i know if it was broke by unhookin the cooler lines should the fluid go everywhere or should it not come out at all. i ask because after the install of tranny the top side cooler line popped off and shot fluid everywhere. it wouldnt pull off before that happened either. And what is a stator shaft.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by antsls1
if the pump was broke during install how would i know if it was broke by unhookin the cooler lines should the fluid go everywhere or should it not come out at all. i ask because after the install of tranny the top side cooler line popped off and shot fluid everywhere. it wouldnt pull off before that happened either. And what is a stator shaft.
If you had oil spraying out then the pump is not broken. The stator that Vince is referring to is the splined portion of the pump that the converter sit on.
Are you sure it is full of fluid and what was the failure that caused you to pull the transmission to begin with?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

You said the converter was too small can you take some pictures of it and post?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Launching!

i finally got in touch with the tranny shop that i got the tranny from. he says being that i used my old converter it wouldnt work. i pulled my old tranny and he says from what i am describing to him i have a 4L65E because the stator shaft is different. the torque converter that came with the tranny is the right one for that tranny just not right for my car so he is gonna find out which one is the correct fit for my car. the stator shaft that came out of my car is the same diameter thru the whole shaft. the one that he sent me has one set of splines closest to the tranny then a smaller set of splines then like this little nipple on the end of the shaft. also the diameter of the one that came out of my car is a good eighth inch bigger. so me using the old torque converter obviously wouldnt work he said that the torque converter is actually spiining around the shaft just not grabbing the shaft or even touching it for that matter because it is not making any noises. it is very quiet. i am just trying to get as much info back and forth from you guys and the tranny guy so i no i aint getting shafted myself. so thank you for all your responses. i am not able to take pictures of it mainly cuz i dont no how to attach them to this post. i will describe a little better if i was to put the torque converter on the table there is a two inch difference from the hub to the bottom of the converter as far as height.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Actualy he gave you and LT-1 Trans to go behind and LS1 even if you had used the other converter you would need a spacer for the converter pilot, Your trans is not a 4l65e its is a 4l60e but its and LSX type. Did you tel him the model year of your car. He should have known. Did you give him your old core?
But anyway I understand what went wrong,
Now what you need to do is take that trans back to hm along with the converter and then have him give you the correct trans and converter for your car, What he calls a "4l65e" But if you gave him your core dont let hi get you for anymore money for it since when it comes to rebuilding them they are the same.
Mind if I ask what you paid for this trans?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Launching!

i havent given the guy my core yet so i still have it. can this guy just change the shaft? he told me he may have to do that if he cant find a torque converter for it which obviously he wont considering it is the wrong tranny. how well would the tranny work if i was to get that spacer you are referring to and where could i get that spacer. i heard that the performance sucks when you do that. i did tell him that i had a 2000 camaro ls1 and if he had a tranny for it and he told me yeah. but i only paid 600 for the tranny but it didnt come with anything but the actual transmission itself (i.e. bellhouse, tailshaft housing, rear seal, etc.).
Old 02-08-2009, 08:28 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well he wont find a converter that will work. He can indeed change the input shaft and pump stator and it will work however. Not sure if that will be cost effective for him however.
There should be no performance loss also with the crank pilot spacer its the same as used to do the 350-400 swaps from and LSX 4l60e

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Launching!

thanks for the quick responses but i just called him again and with your info i am getting somewhere. he told me he was gonna change the stator and input shaft. and also replace the converter. with him screwing this up dont you think that he should be responsible for labor and towing? i installed it but its got to go to his shop from my house.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

That I cant answer as I dont know what kinda deal you guys had , But I will say if you got a rebuilt 4l60e for 600 dollars you got a deal we cant build out lowest level for that. Good Luck however with your venture and glad I could be of some assistance

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-08-2009, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

I must be missing something, you got the transmission and converter from the same shop? And it's the wrong one? It's the early style 4l60e converter and the later 98+ transmission?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

No he got a matching wrong trans and converter from the shop then tried to use his old converter with the wrong trans. Anyway you look at it

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Launching!

thanks guys for all the help. he is covering everything under the warranty he gave me except the towing. he is gonna pull it out replace the shaft and stator and something else that i dont remember and reinstalling the tranny all for free. so thank you for all of your inputs. i am so glad i have people like you guys, especially you performabuilt! thanks man!!! i probably wouldnt have gotten this thing straightened out if you didnt help. thanks again!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:15 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

you are welcome , its what I am here for

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: New 4L60E Tranny Swap in LS1 Wont Move