Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

th400 kickdown

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default th400 kickdown

I have a th400 paired with a '98 LS1 and was wondering if anyone had any info. on kickdown switch options. I've been searching and keep coming up empty handed. Any info. is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

UPDATE:
So i put something together and its working great. Its not the prettiest thing but its functional.

right: old chevy truck left: s10 pedal assembly

Finished product

Last edited by Shea05; 03-31-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by Shea05
I have a th400 paired with a '98 LS1 and was wondering if anyone had any info. on kickdown switch options. I've been searching and keep coming up empty handed. Any info. is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can adapt the electronic switch to you gas pedal or even your carbureutor.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tptransmission
You can adapt the electronic switch to you gas pedal or even your carbureutor.
I don't have a carb. on it. I was looking to see if anyone has modified the gas pedal to work with a switch to get some ideas on where to start. Thanks for the input
Old 03-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Im wondering the same thing my trans will be here in a week or so can you use a wot switch from a nitrous setup?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by topdog515
Im wondering the same thing my trans will be here in a week or so can you use a wot switch from a nitrous setup?
thats not a bad idea but that would only work, obviously, at WOT which isn't really favorable if your just trying to pass someone real quick, you know?

B&M has a kickdown switch for converting a car from cable kickdown to electronic but thats only for carb. cars

there might be a way to hook that up to the gas pedel but some fab. would be necessary

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 03-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Teching In

http://lokar.com/product-description...ect-kd-kit.htm

just found this too
Old 03-17-2009, 06:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

just running a vacume line to the mod. will allow the trans to kick down-by adding a switch to the trans, it can kick down into first gear, which sometimes is a pita-back when they first came out, we used to disc the switch-i have not used one since the 60's on one, lol
Old 03-17-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
just running a vacume line to the mod. will allow the trans to kick down-by adding a switch to the trans, it can kick down into first gear, which sometimes is a pita-back when they first came out, we used to disc the switch-i have not used one since the 60's on one, lol
interesting. I was always under the impression that I should run both. I picked up a factory kickdown switch, and both connectors at the junkyard for free and was planning on fabbing something up to work w/ my gas pedal like factory. I wasn't going to mess w/ buying aftermarket since they are a lot of $$. They can be found on most th400 trucks and vans. But since I go to the junkyard so often, my ocd has made me collect 15+ of these

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-17-2009, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

You can adjust the modulator to get a vaccum kickdown , but it isn't consistent .The electric detent solenoid only worked at wide open throttle so you just need a 12 volt signal then(at WOT) . The switch pictured will work if you can get the travel correct . The late th400s in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks worked off TPS voltage through the PCM .
Old 03-17-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by big wally 55
You can adjust the modulator to get a vaccum kickdown , but it isn't consistent .The electric detent solenoid only worked at wide open throttle so you just need a 12 volt signal then(at WOT) . The switch pictured will work if you can get the travel correct . The late th400s in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks worked off TPS voltage through the PCM .
Travel should be very easy to figure out. I was going to mount this under the hood and use the cable to activate it, but it would look very ugly under the hood, so I will fab it up by the gas pedal like factory. Yeah, these switches require a 12 volt signal, then at WOT, sends the signal to the solenoid. I probably should have mentioned that these switches were used from '86-older for a fact. Possibly '87 was the last year. These switches have been getting harder to find left in cars. I plan on running both kickdown and vaccuum mod like the General has done for many years. How can you really adjust the vaccuum modulator? I've never come across that before..

thanks

mark jr.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Teching In

So if switch only needs to be activated at wot could i use a wot switch from a nitrous setup, it would be easy to set-up and wouldnt be ugly and well i already have one lol
Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
Travel should be very easy to figure out. I was going to mount this under the hood and use the cable to activate it, but it would look very ugly under the hood, so I will fab it up by the gas pedal like factory. Yeah, these switches require a 12 volt signal, then at WOT, sends the signal to the solenoid. I probably should have mentioned that these switches were used from '86-older for a fact. Possibly '87 was the last year. These switches have been getting harder to find left in cars. I plan on running both kickdown and vaccuum mod like the General has done for many years. How can you really adjust the vaccuum modulator? I've never come across that before..

thanks

mark jr.
Most modulators are adjustable , the stem that you install your vaccum line on will have a screw inside . You can use a small slotted screwdriver and turn it in or out a couple of turns to raise or lower modulator pressure for earlier or later shifts , or to change shift feel somewhat .
Old 03-18-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by big wally 55
Most modulators are adjustable , the stem that you install your vaccum line on will have a screw inside . You can use a small slotted screwdriver and turn it in or out a couple of turns to raise or lower modulator pressure for earlier or later shifts , or to change shift feel somewhat .
Thanks for the info. I will have to see if mine is adjustable. Looks like i will have to try a bunch of test runs this spring to get it adjusted correctly

mark jr.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Teching In

ok, so using blackduk's suggestion i found a kickdown like his picture above and made my own mount/bracket type thing at the pedal. i will post some pictures asap

also, i forgot to mention i have a LS1 and TH400 in a '93 s10 so i've been making all kinds of **** like this for it, haha
Old 03-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Teching In

pictures added

Quick Reply: th400 kickdown