Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

th400 with converter whine?

Old 04-15-2009, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default th400 with converter whine?

Well i just got done installing my trans and converter.

Its a 400 with stock parts but red clutchs and kevlar bands. i rebuilt it myself following the manual to the t.

The converter is a 4800 stall 230 mm spragless.

While it park theres a whine that goes up and down with rpm. it also does the same in drive. the trans shifts fine, works in all gears, and feels great alround.

Is there something wrong or is this normal for my converter. it didnt do it before the swap either?

Also for drag racing purposes should i unplug the modulator?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Restricted User

Default maybe not the converter

probably the trans filter. Do you remember if the filter had a yellow or green paper (for lack of a better word) element filter in it.. If you didn't install a brass screen type filter you'll have a whine like a power steering pump until the trans fluid warms up. If that is the case just change the filter. The brass filter actually came out of the allison AT540.

Mike.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:26 PM
10 Second Club

The filter is not like a normal filter because its from 65 it came with this goofy filter, its a rectangle with a pick up tube cant even see the element. i can see if it loose and go from there.

But it defently sounds like a power steering pump.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Restricted User

Default let the trans warm up and see if the noise goes away.

Originally Posted by blockheadnic
The filter is not like a normal filter because its from 65 it came with this goofy filter, its a rectangle with a pick up tube cant even see the element. i can see if it loose and go from there.

But it defently sounds like a power steering pump.
Well, let the trans warm up and see if the noise goes away. If the noise goes away, you may want to change the pan and install a brass flat filter in it. All these damn filters are coming from china or vietnam nowadays so who know what their micron standard for filtration is.

Typlcally a converter noise will get lower or go away when you drop it in gear.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:12 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen where the pump gears will rub the crescent in the pump and cause a noise like you are describing. Always inspect the drive gear where the converter rides for wear. I always use the screen style filter in my TH400's. Vince
Old 04-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Banned

The last thing you need is moreTgo tech.Put a gage on line pressure port and post the readings.The noise you are describing can easily be figured out with a pressure gage.Hydraulic buzzing from an unbalanced pr valve will either be confirmed or eliminated.If you are strreet driving leave the vaccuum source on the modualtor if it is an auto shift.What type of valve body is it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: th400 with converter whine?