Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stall for street car LT1

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stall for street car LT1

I have sifted through many threads, and the Info can be overwhelming and conflicting sometimes. Here are my thoughts on what I should do.

I want a fun, quick and reliable street car, that can keep up with the new models out there. And stock LT1s just don't cut it.
I plan on the typical bolt-ons in the next few years, but from what I have read, a nice stall is a great first hot rod mod.

I *think* I want a 3200 Yank. I have 2.73s, and my trans was rebuilt about 4 years ago.

Some folks on here say you will need a tune after install, but others say no?
A lot of people wish they had went bigger on their first stall, but I think I'd rather have more of a chance at hooking the tires with out using drag radials.
I would also have to guess that a 3200 will be easier on my tranny than a 3600.

Hopefully somebody with an LT1 who's BTDT can chime in
Old 04-15-2009, 10:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I DD'd with a Yank SS3600 in my LT1 for awhile and it was nice. Real fun on the street and kicked some *** when I needed it to. I also had 3.73's at that time as well, I would highly suggest you get rid of those 2.73's for some 3.23's, 3.42's or 3.73's. The 2.73's will make any stall feel kinda loose so you not only want more gear for tightness purposes but your going to need it to compete with most other cars.

The Yank SS3200 would be awesome for what your looking for. Everyone is different so I can't say whether the SS3600 would be better for you or too much for you. Your right on track with the SS series from Yank though because they are very tight and great for street driving. I would call up Dave at Yank and see what he says too. Traction is quite difficult with a stall of those sizes and street tires but once you learn to feather it you can do a decent job, make sure to do some suspension too.

As far as tuning yes you will need it. You will probaly get "stall wall" since your a '94 plus you want to re-adjust the shift points and maybe the lockup mph etc.

In terms of wear on the tranny, any stall is going to put more stress on it. Make sure to get a tranny cooler like the B&M 24,000 to help out and you will also want a shift kit such as the Trans Go HD2.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

An FTI SRLS series billet 9.5" 3200 would work great with your present gears. But we would recomend that you change the gear to a 3.42 or 3.73 for more performance as the converter and gear go hand in hand.If yoiu had a 3.42 or 3.73 then I would run a 35-3600 converter. Our converters are also on sale this month with a free 1404 Hayden transmission cooler. call or pm

Greg
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 04-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Yeah, it sucks having my 2.73s, but I can only get faster from here at the bottom.
I do have a shift kit installed from the rebuild, not sure what brand.

I think now maybe I will go for a used rear 10 bolt with 3.42s first.
Then stall and tune.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

I'd go 3.73's. They are a great gear. I went from 2.73's in my 99 Z. The 3.73's actually get me better MPG in the city. I'd go with something in the 3200-3400 range if you are stock internals.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:40 AM
On The Tree

You would be surprised by just going with a gear change, with an OD trans 3.73 are a very nice gear. You cruising speed is still going to be very respectable in the low 2000ish range. My thought of running a converter with those type of gears is going to bust something in the rear if it is planting, going to some better gears for perormance is going to take some of that stress off of the rear axle. Also swapping out rear gears should cost less than a good converter. If you also have an open driveline and swapping out the gears now whould be the time to swap out to a posi. Don't forget you will have to have the computer resetup for the gear change.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by littlebird
I have sifted through many threads, and the Info can be overwhelming and conflicting sometimes. Here are my thoughts on what I should do.

I want a fun, quick and reliable street car, that can keep up with the new models out there. And stock LT1s just don't cut it.
I plan on the typical bolt-ons in the next few years, but from what I have read, a nice stall is a great first hot rod mod.

I *think* I want a 3200 Yank. I have 2.73s, and my trans was rebuilt about 4 years ago.

A lot of people wish they had went bigger on their first stall, but I think I'd rather have more of a chance at hooking the tires with out using drag radials.

Hopefully somebody with an LT1 who's BTDT can chime in
Your 94 firebird is obd1 and is definitely going to need a tune..
Old 05-03-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vanilla89
Your 94 firebird is obd1 and is definitely going to need a tune..
why? what's so forgiving about obd2 compared to obd1?
Old 05-03-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by littlebird

Good luck with that! When I put the 3000 stall in my car, it went from dead hooking on street tires, to nothing but tire smoke. IMO, unless you plan to do some drag radials and suspension down the road, a 3000+ stall converter is a waste.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do it once and do it right... SS3600 its like the perfect converter... its streetable and when u want to go with a different setup it usually will remain compatible(sp)... and throw in some 3.73's and u will have one fun driving LT1 street car that will make u shiit ur pants when u launch it fo the first time and stick oh and not to mention u will be prolly beating up on some stock LS1's :

btw Nitto 555R drag radials work great for street use and stick awesome... just a thought

Quick Reply: Stall for street car LT1