Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK new trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK new trans problem

I raced today at Raceway Park NJ my 2nd to last pass the trans did not shift to OD but my last pass it did.On the way home I had no OD but 1st,2nd & 3rd and reverse worked fine,But when I came to a stop it stayed in 3rd.I had to manually shift it & the TC would not lock in 3rd on the way home.Let me tell ya,Driving 2 1/2 hrs at 55mph on the GSP wasn't pretty What do I check?...................Paul
Old 05-09-2009, 08:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I assume you have a stall? If so scan for codes your will likley find a code for shift solenoid B stuck . If so delete that code in tuning its and eronious code caused by the stall. Sounds like it set limp mode for that If true you can go out now and it will drive normally

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Ahhhh you know what I did,I put a different tune in the car at the track and that might have been on.In the other tune it was off.I'll check thanks Crap and I drove 2 1/2 hours in 3rd
Old 05-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Yup,I checked the tune.P0756 Shift Solenoid B stuck off & P0757 stuck on is on.Dam Well the good thing is nothings broke.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yes it is

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Launching!

I'll check it out Sunday before we take Mom out for dinner.Thanks again......................Paul
Old 05-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Launching!

OK, Shut off solenoid B codes,Took 4th gear servo apart,Put it back in,Fluid is clean,Changed the pressure solenoid and it calmed down the banging into gear,BUT STILL NO 4th/OD gear.What else should I look at.....................Paul
Old 05-17-2009, 03:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

What servos are you using?
There are not many options on a no 4th.
1- 4th not being comanded
2-4th servo or band clearance issue.
3-3-4 shift valve stuck
4-seals torn or damaged on the servo

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by performabuilt
What servos are you using?
There are not many options on a no 4th.
1- 4th not being comanded
2-4th servo or band clearance issue.
3-3-4 shift valve stuck
4-seals torn or damaged on the servo
I put new seals on when I put it back in.It says Sonnax on the out side.I'm pretty sure the insides are fairbanks.I went for a ride and its not fully engaging in 4th.The rpm's just go up like its slipping when the shift lever is in 4th.When I put the shift lever in 3rd I can feel it down shift alittle and go in 3rd.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ah SONNAX and FAIRBANKS like we use. I know what your problem is .

The Sonnax servo uses a gold washer , The problem is if your band clearance is a little high the washer will collide with the farbanks and only allow partial or no apply.
There are two fixes possible.
1-You can try and longer band pin.Only trouble with that is that sometimes the second servo clearance is tight enough allready and the 4th servo washer still hitting,
2-Remove the gold washer.Replace it with a black washer the same as the one under the e clip on the servo pin now. Its large enough to catch both parts of the 4th servo and is a little thicker. But beyond that its able to travel down into the where the pin goes through. You end up with a slightley tighter band clearance for 4th without affecting second and in addition because the washer can travel into the separator disc you get the thickness of the washer additional travel on top pf that.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Ah SONNAX and FAIRBANKS like we use. I know what your problem is .

The Sonnax servo uses a gold washer , The problem is if your band clearance is a little high the washer will collide with the farbanks and only allow partial or no apply.
There are two fixes possible.
1-You can try and longer band pin.Only trouble with that is that sometimes the second servo clearance is tight enough allready and the 4th servo washer still hitting,
2-Remove the gold washer.Replace it with a black washer the same as the one under the e clip on the servo pin now. Its large enough to catch both parts of the 4th servo and is a little thicker. But beyond that its able to travel down into the where the pin goes through. You end up with a slightley tighter band clearance for 4th without affecting second and in addition because the washer can travel into the separator disc you get the thickness of the washer additional travel on top pf that.
OK I know what washer your talking about.Won't be able to do this till Friday or Saturday.Man I hope that's it.....Thanks!....I'll keep ya posted...........Paul
Old 05-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Launching!

When I race the trans shifts into 4th/OD at WOT could that have caused band wear.I put in a new band over the winter,The wide one.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:16 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Actually from doing some test, After a new band is used and applied several times at high line the actually stretch a little and the clearance opens up some.
Of note drive in D3 not overdrive you could cook your band drivng it that way after a bit.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Actually from doing some test, After a new band is used and applied several times at high line the actually stretch a little and the clearance opens up some.
Of note drive in D3 not overdrive you could cook your band drivng it that way after a bit.
Well nothing worked to help 4th gear,So I took the trans out and guess what I found,A cooked band It was black! A few burn marks on the drum.No more WOT 4th gear shifts.The 3-4 clutches didn't look to good either and the over run clutches were burnt.What would cause the over run clutches to burn up? Thats about it so far,Should have it up & running Saturday afternoon I'll post back....Thanks for the help.................Paul
Old 05-22-2009, 06:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

If the OVERUN clutches are burnt I would suspect a hydraulic leak. They are coming on and staying on after the 3-4 shift which would also contribute to burning the band since they combined in 4th would be trying to bind up the trans. I would carfully inspect the forward clutch piston, The inside of the pump stator for grooves and the TEFLON rings on the input shaft. Something leaking there. The overun clutch should never be on on the OD position and it sounds like it is coming on.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Launching!

If the OVERUN clutches are burnt I would suspect a hydraulic leak. They are coming on and staying on after the 3-4 shift which would also contribute to burning the band since they combined in 4th would be trying to bind up the trans. I would carfully inspect the forward clutch piston, The inside of the pump stator for grooves and the TEFLON rings on the input shaft. Something leaking there. The overun clutch should never be on on the OD position and it sounds like it is coming on.
Cooked that bad boy right upEverything checked out OK,The teflon rings,Inside the pump stator.BUT! I did find something in the valve body,I think thats the forward piston? I have a pinless forward piston and where you jam the check ball in the hole I put a rubber nozzle blow gun in there and it was leaking through,So I filled it with JB weld and hope that works.But anyway I have 4th/OD now,Good thing I had extra parts.I did it the jack stands,Tomorrow I will put the x-pipe and mufflers back on & go for a ride.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Good Luck with it this time

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Everything works,All 4 gears,BUT no lockup.Is it possible to hook up TC solenoid backwards.I put a new one in and had to splice the wires.What would happen if it it is hooked up backwards.I put the scanner on and the it is saying the TC is locked.UPDATE.Took off trans pan,I checked everything with the scanner.All the solenoids work.Is the converter valve that goes into the pump suppose to move,I pushed on it with a screw driver and it moves a very very tiny bit.*UPDATE-2 Problem solved.The converter valve that goes into the pump was in backward's,Lock up works now.

Last edited by DRIVER456; 05-30-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Good your all working again

Call 888-744-6542