Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of questions about 4l60e internals

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of questions about 4l60e internals

I've currently got my 4l60e torn apart (out of a 1995 Z28) I lost the 3-4 clutch packs a few days ago. The trans looks to be in very good shape, the 2-4 band is in great shape, all metal parts still have a good finish and the planet gear assembly looks fine.

I just wanted to make sure I address all the problems the trans had while I've got it apart. Besides the loss of 3rd and 4th gear it also acted wierd in reverse, if you put it in gear it took a few seconds to grab, then would only be partially engaged until you hit the gas hard, then it would slam into reverse. I thought worn clutches for reverse?

I also found a little bit of debris in the valve body, in the checkball on the back of the trans, on the transmission side, not the valvebody itself (the ball that is locked in) it was just a piece of rubber, but it jammed the ball so it could not operate properly. Please excuse my ignorance, but what would this effect as far as the transmission functioning.

Thank you for you help in advance!
Old 05-15-2009, 04:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well if it was blocking or jaming the hole in the capsule at back of case well thats reverse. So would explain. I would however be more concerned with where the rubber came from.
I would defnatley replace/check the three rubber seals on the low reverse piston.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-15-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Well if it was blocking or jaming the hole in the capsule at back of case well thats reverse. So would explain. I would however be more concerned with where the rubber came from.
I would defnatley replace/check the three rubber seals on the low reverse piston.
It almost looked like part of the gasket for the pan, it was real soft and about that thickness. I'll def check out the seals though. Would worn friction material also cause reverse to operate that way? The 3-4's were pretty much flat (as to be expected) but the rest really didn't look that bad.

Thank you
Old 05-15-2009, 04:47 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

It would take alotta wear on the low/reverse or reverse input set to do that. I suspect the rubber is part of a torn seal in the low/reverse piston since i really cant imagine any other way it could get to where it was.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-15-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

It would take alotta wear on the low/reverse or reverse input set to do that. I suspect the rubber is part of a torn seal in the low/reverse piston since i really cant imagine any other way it could get to where it was.
Yes, if it was the pan gasket it shouldn't have been able to get there b/c of the filter, so I'll pressure check and or pull it apart to replace/inspect the seals.

Thanks so much, I'm going to see if I can get a little more life out of this trans, but when it does go I know exactly where to get a stage 1 lol, from your willingness to help I can truely tell you know and enjoy transmissions and I want a trans built by that type of person.

Thanks again!
Old 05-15-2009, 04:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Actually its true I love what I do. I have been told I have dexron instead of blood more than a few times in my life lol.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-15-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Regular

Actually its true I love what I do. I have been told I have dexron instead of blood more than a few times in my life lol.
I like figuring things out, but the smell of ATF just gets to me idk why lol.

I've done a lot of searches and you pretty much answer any question from any person. It really shows not only do you know your stuff inside and out, but enjoy it too.

Thanks again, this might not be my last question lol, we'll see how things go.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

You were right, the reverse piston had 2 cracked seals, the one was so bad it fell off and thats what I found under the checkball. Needless to say the reverse clutches were toast, well most of them. I guess b/c only partial pressure was being applied it burnt several of them down to steel, while the back most one looked brand new.

I have a few more questions b/f I throw it back in the car. It seemed to me like their was a lot of movement on the output shaft (forwards to backwards) as I was assembling everything, is this normal?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Launching!

yeah, if it's all apart down to the reaction shaft, it'll move around. When it's all back together, the additional support comes from the stator shaft. While you got it apart check your sep. plate carefully. It takes a poundin from the checkballs. Also which piston had a torn seal? The one in the drum or the lo/reverse piston at the bottom of the case. Cause if it was the one in the drum, how did it make it's way down to the capsule?
Old 05-19-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

It was the one way back in the back of the case, it looks like I was only seconds away from losing reverse lol.

I was just checking, I didn't want to put this thing back in the car and have something wiggling around at 6k rpm if you know what I mean lol.

Quick Reply: Couple of questions about 4l60e internals