Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock verter bolts suck. any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 04:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stock verter bolts suck. any advice?

yeah so my stock bolts are the allen head ones. and just like sooo many guys say , those bastards are in there good. i heated them up, used an allen wrench and a torx to no avail. i found through the search that theyre a metric allen. what the hell socket do you use? even after heating them they wouldnt budge at all with the torx which actually fit pretty good. the torx bit ate itself but didnt hurt the bolts at all. i used a propane torch to heat them , should i try map gas? i dont have an oxy/aceteline set up at my house.

gimme some tips here fellas.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by SMALLBLOCKHERO
yeah so my stock bolts are the allen head ones. and just like sooo many guys say , those bastards are in there good. i heated them up, used an allen wrench and a torx to no avail. i found through the search that theyre a metric allen. what the hell socket do you use? even after heating them they wouldnt budge at all with the torx which actually fit pretty good. the torx bit ate itself but didnt hurt the bolts at all. i used a propane torch to heat them , should i try map gas? i dont have an oxy/aceteline set up at my house.

gimme some tips here fellas.
8mm I think. I've had to use an air hammer before to remove them. I always replace them with regular t/c bolts.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One Installer had to heat them up and then they came out easily. I have always used the Stock GM Bolts.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

i did heat them up with a propane torch. no luck there. these are the factory bolts GM installed in the car, it has never been touched. thats prolly why there in there so good. im goin to buy a set of metric allen sockets and beat it to death tomorrow. the yank verter came with new bolts so thats what im gonna use when i put it in. if....i ever get that stock piece of **** out of there.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Worse come to worse I guess you could pull the tranny off teh converter then torch the bastards out. You'd have to buy a new flexplate...

Can you get an impact on it with a swivel?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Banned

You should try to use a good quality 8mm socket type allen wrench like the one in my pic. It's a Matco.
You have a few shots at it before it strips and you're screwed.
The Torx bit you used must have been poor quality if it stripped itself out, otherwise it would have rounded the allen head out.

I've had my stock TC bolts in and out at least 15 times, and I use red loctite every time. They are the 15mm hex with a shallow 8mm allen head in the middle. The last time I took them out the 15mm side stripped so I used a map gas torch and a 8mm allen socket. I have oxy/acetylene but propane will even work, you just need to hold it on there for a long time.

I think most people have problems when they let the engine turn, eventually the extension you have will hit something and the socket will be pushed crooked, this will strip it for sure.

The best way I found to do it by yourself is to use a wobble extension at the trans end, run a single extension (not a bunch put together) up to the front, put a socket and rachet on the balancer bolt. You'll end up with two ratchets and when positioned right you just need to pull them toward each other, and the engine doesn't even try to turn. I also use 1/2" drives for rigidity.
Attached Thumbnails stock verter bolts suck. any advice?-img_0001.jpg   stock verter bolts suck. any advice?-img_0002.jpg   stock verter bolts suck. any advice?-img_0142.jpg   stock verter bolts suck. any advice?-img_0143.jpg  
Old 05-18-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^You wont be screwed if they strip. All mine stripped. Had the same problem you did. Access a welder somehow and weld a nut around/over the head of the bolt and just turn them out. Easiest way possible. Don't get it too hot because you can risk damaging the flywheel. But the heat caused by the nut you weld on it/welder will be enough. Mine came right out with an easy turn after i did this. Good Luck.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1_K1DD
^You wont be screwed if they strip. All mine stripped. Had the same problem you did. Access a welder somehow and weld a nut around/over the head of the bolt and just turn them out. Easiest way possible. Don't get it too hot because you can risk damaging the flywheel. But the heat caused by the nut you weld on it/welder will be enough. Mine came right out with an easy turn after i did this. Good Luck.
You will be if you don't have a welder. I have a welder and would hate to have to weld a nut to those bolts in such a tight space.

All I'm saying is do all you can to prevent them from stripping in the first place. Like start with a good allen wrench, cheap stuff is sometimes so soft it'll round the wrench and bolt out at the same time.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Teching In

striped one of mine out with red lock tight on it, thought i was screwed, no way the tranny will come off the converter, not enough room between the firewall and the bellhousing.

I found some back out sockets at autozone i think they are Erwin brand, they bite the head in reverse, thought i,d give them a try before i chizzeled the head off and ruined the flexplate. I put the socket on and tapped it a little and it backed right out, those sockets work very well it didn't slip at all.

So if you do strip one this is another option to removing it without welding or destroying something else.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002CAMAROSSLS1T56
You will be if you don't have a welder. I have a welder and would hate to have to weld a nut to those bolts in such a tight space.

All I'm saying is do all you can to prevent them from stripping in the first place. Like start with a good allen wrench, cheap stuff is sometimes so soft it'll round the wrench and bolt out at the same time.
Thats why you have an experienced welder do it
Old 05-20-2009, 02:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WE TODD DID
8mm I think. I've had to use an air hammer before to remove them. I always replace them with regular t/c bolts.
dude..that was spot on. good memory. i used all the advice you guys had and got them out with very little trouble. i will say the proper 8mm hex/allen socket did help quite a bit. thanks for all the input boys, thats why i love this forum. always someone thats done it and been there. i appreciate all the help.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SMALLBLOCKHERO
dude..that was spot on. good memory. i used all the advice you guys had and got them out with very little trouble. i will say the proper 8mm hex/allen socket did help quite a bit. thanks for all the input boys, thats why i love this forum. always someone thats done it and been there. i appreciate all the help.
This forum is a big help. Thats why its set to my homepage! Now get that converter in!!! BTW what stall is going to replace the stocker?