Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI Converter Question

Old 03-29-2010, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TCI Converter Question

Can someone please confirm what size bolts I will need for my TCI converter? I ran some searches and found 7x16x20 or 7x16x20x1.

I would also like some suggetions on where to get these bolts (Jegs, Home Depot, Lowes). Does home depot or lowes have the higher level grade bolts I would need?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
7/16-20x1"
Thats a 7/16" fine thread bolt thats 1 inch long. 3/4" works too.

You're not going to break them no matter what grade bolt you put in there but grade 8 is strong and cheap enough. You can find them at just about any place that sells bolts.

Thank you! I wanted to be sure to get the correct bolt the first time. Is there anything else that I should get or be aware of when getting the correct 7/16-20x1?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:05 PM

i just drilled mine in the car with a group7 converter from tci ruined a new oil filter i used good ole grade 8 bolts from ace hardware
Old 04-01-2010, 06:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bro Inc
If you're using the stock flexplate you need to drill the one oval hole out to fit the bolt. It'll suck if you forget and have to do it with the trans in the car.
I had one of these converters once and I'm pretty sure they use nuts too, it really sucks reaching the backside to hold the nut in place.

FWIW I had a TCI built in 2002 that used the stock bolts, at the same time I had one with the same part number built in 2005 that used the 7/16 bolts.

I don't know what your doing but if by some odd chance you're getting a used TCI, watch out for that.
I have a Speed Inc flex plate for the car is there anything I can do before to make sure there are no issues? This is a used TCI that was gone through by one of the sponsors here (circle D).

Let me also plug Circle D, they were very friendly and answered any and all of my questions. My first big boy converter will be with them when the car is ready

So I will need the 7/16 bolts that can be purchased anywhere. I would assume some locktite? Any other tips or tricks would be very much appriciated. Thank you all so far for the help.

Search this Thread