Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter Won't Seat

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Converter Won't Seat

I really need help here guys. I'm swapping my TH350 lockup tranny with a Rossler TH400 and new Neal Chance 5000 stall. I purchased the stall a few weeks back and couldn't even get the 1st click when trying to seat the converter. We tried another TH400 converter and it dropped right in. I called Marty and he sent me a new converter no questions asked. The new converter arrived in 3 days and would get the first two clicks then about half of the 3rd. Not wanting to mess up my new tranny and converter I dropped it off at SMI Transmissions and asked them to seat it and check the pump while I went out of town.

I picked up the tranny yesterday and was assured that it was seated as far as it would go, and the pump looked great. This morning I decided to put the tranny in and I have less than 1/16" of clearance between the converter pad and TCI flexplate. The converter rotates freely, but I know this isn't right. SMI had a bar bolted to the bellhousing holding the converter in place so I know it didn't move. The converter will not go in further no matter what I do.

Anyone else run into this before? Solutions? Ideas?

Also, why would another th400 converter just drop right in?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-20-2009, 03:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been the tranny swap from hell. let me know if you figure anything out. sorry I couldn't be there to help out.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:58 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by camscam02
This has been the tranny swap from hell. let me know if you figure anything out. sorry I couldn't be there to help out.
LOL..Sure has

It took the two of us less than an hour to pull the th350. It took me doing the install by myself about an hour an a half to get the th400 in with the top and two bottom bellhousing bolts tight so I could check clearances. I was dreading the R&R part and it seems I should have been dreading two bum converters.

When are you coming back to Sac?
Old 06-20-2009, 05:37 PM
9 Second Club

Man I have a chance stall and a tci flex plate. Mine went right in no problem. This is a ls based engine right. Im lost your talking about when you stab the stall into the tranny shaft and you line up the two notches and it slides in. Also did you tell marty this is for a ls1 based motor. I had to with mine so they could modfy the pad.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:01 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by dnkynrbk
Man I have a chance stall and a tci flex plate. Mine went right in no problem. This is a ls based engine right. Im lost your talking about when you stab the stall into the tranny shaft and you line up the two notches and it slides in. Also did you tell marty this is for a ls1 based motor. I had to with mine so they could modfy the pad.
Yeah, Marty knows it's for a LS motor. They did extend the pilot properly and their customer service was excellent. The first one they sent me the slots on the pump input on the converter were too narrow to fit over the notches on the pump. This one seems to hang on the 3rd click and doesn't drop in all the way. I dropped the tranny and converter off at a tranny shop and had them seat it as far as they could because I couldn't get it. It went in further than I could get it but not "1.187 from bellhousing to converter pads" as FLT had posted it should be for a 400. The original owner of this tranny used to run a Chance converter in it and loved it. I am also using a TCI flexplate

I guess I'll call Marty on Monday. I wish I would had gone with the Circle-D race converter that I had originally planned on buying. Their 4C in my lockup tranny was pretty badass. I'm only swapping the 350 for the 400 because I wanted a bigger stall and I didn't like taking my hands off the wheel to flip the lockup switch on the big end.

Also searching for that elusive 9 second pass. Best so far with the th350 was 10.002@137 with a 1.37 60'
Old 06-20-2009, 06:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reboot
LOL..Sure has

It took the two of us less than an hour to pull the th350. It took me doing the install by myself about an hour an a half to get the th400 in with the top and two bottom bellhousing bolts tight so I could check clearances. I was dreading the R&R part and it seems I should have been dreading two bum converters.

When are you coming back to Sac?
Damn you were moving pretty quick there. nice work.

I should be back prolly friday I would guess. not really sure yet.

what are your measurements? pads to bell housing and pads to flywheel?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by camscam02
Damn you were moving pretty quick there. nice work.

I should be back prolly friday I would guess. not really sure yet.

what are your measurements? pads to bell housing and pads to flywheel?
I just took it out and measured everything. 1/16" converter pad to flexplate and 15/16" bellhousing to converter pads. it won't go in any further no matter what I try.

Enjoy your trip Cameron. I will be in San Antonio for my sons graduation from basic training next weekend. I'm pretty sure I can handle this on my own. I'm getting enough practice..lol

Hey, I found out if I tip the tranny jack forward the bell will clear the oil pan rolling it in and out the front of the car :-) Makes it much easier.

Don
Old 06-20-2009, 11:05 PM
9 Second Club

Man that wierd I would just call Marty like you said. It should just pop in there I had no issues with mine. Sorry bud. that sucks been there before on othere parts. Does it it bolt to the flex plate fine and is flat up to it. I had to tighten the **** out of my bolts to make it suck up to the flex plate. Try that if you havent and make sure the stall is flush with the flex plate all the way around. You probally have done this if so just helping
Old 06-20-2009, 11:57 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just reading this thread and thought it would be good to chime in. Recently we had a similar issue with a TH350 when installing it on our Dyno with an after market converter. Not a PI. I found that the measurement between the face of the bell and the converter pads were different than what was posted in the thread you mentioned above. I actually just last week received some new info and need to update the thread you were talking about. The info posted in that thread was from Terry at PI and may not be accurate with all aftermarket converters. I agree that if you have less than 1/16" it is to tight for my liking. Maybe PI does something different to achieve those measurements with their converters but at this point I question the info with other converters. I would get with Marty to see what his thoughts are and go from there. Sorry to hear about your troubles but I think as long as you have more than 1/16 and less than 3/16" you are good to go. Vince
Old 06-24-2009, 02:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any luck yet?

I had the same problem trying to get my Ultimate Converter Concepts 5000 stall to seat onto my th350. I took two other TH350/TH400 converters and they both slid right on. I seriously fought with it for a few hours, and got frustrated, came inside for a bit, went back out in the garage went to pick the trans up to move it and my hand bumped the converter and it slipped right on. Sometimes they are just tricky.

Quick Reply: Converter Won't Seat