Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80e Sun Gear Shaft Bushing(s)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 10:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 4L80e Sun Gear Shaft Bushing(s)

I'm rebuilding my 2000 4L80e, but I've got a question on the bushing(s) for the sun gear shaft. I was under the impression that there were two - one on each end. But from everything I've found, there's only one (#67A section E in this illustration). And now it seems that I'm one bushing short - for the rear of the overdrive drum (#64B in the illustration). These seem to be just about the same size, but my question is this: my kit came with two grooved bushings, which I assumed were both for the sun gear shaft. I take it one was for the rear of the overdrive drum? And I could have sworn I pulled two bushings from the sun gear shaft - one grooved and one not. Thanks for the help.

-Trev
Old 06-24-2009, 06:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sun gear shaft does use two grooved bushings. The illustration does show the other bushing, it's just not numbered. The grooved bushing in the overdrive gear won't cause a problem, so just leave it there.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every bushing kit I've bought was missing that bushing. You can buy it from a trans. shop separate. Although, the guy I get mine from always gives it for free.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks guys. i tossed the bushings in my freezer when they arrived to ease in installation, and i literally turned the damned thing upside down trying to figure out if i lost that one. if you look at the illustration, it does show two sun gear shaft bushings, but shows the quantity for the 97-up grooved bushing as 1, although the 91-96 non-grooved qty is 2. the website i bought the kit through also says qty 1 for the grooved bushing.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:52 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had the same issues with bushing kits in the past. You need two grooved bushings for the sungear shaft. The sungear portion of the overrun drum has a solid bushing in it. Both bushings for the shaft and the drum are the same size as far as the outer diameter. Vince

Quick Reply: 4L80e Sun Gear Shaft Bushing(s)