Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am stumped.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I am stumped.

I had my transmission rebuilt about 200 miles ago. Since I got it back, the car will not shift into 2nd @WOT or to 3rd from 2nd @ WOT. It just bounces off the rev limiter until I let off. Can anyone tell me what is going on? I have a stock torque converter now, and the transmission was rebuilt with a shift kit and a better than factory clutch package. I am at my wit's end. The shop that did it cant figure it out either. I hooked it up to a scanner and it says everything is fine. Is my torque converter bad??? Do I just need a tune? Also, just FYI there are bigger wheels on the car now than stock. I dunno if that would have anything to do with it. Also from 3rd to 4th @ WOT shifts just fine. Thanks for any help guys.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Yes, if you changed the rolling diameter of your wheels, you need a tune to compensate. I would start there.
G/L
Old 07-01-2009, 06:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

AGREED you need the tuning looked at ,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-01-2009, 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

Ok I took a hypertech programmer and adjusted the tire height to the correct one and I set the rev limiter back to 6400, and the car is still doing the same thing. The transmission feels like it is slipping slightly after 5K rpms and the car will not shift @ WOT. I have to let off. Just in first and second gear though. I Dont think it is a tuning issue. The car puts down 380RWHP on a mustang dyno. Is that too much for the stock torque converter??? I dont remember having problems before I bought the Yank... I am not too good with transmissions, but it seems like they did not install the bands with the proper spacing. Oh and it is not low on fluid I just checked it.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Launching!

Find out the commanded shift RPM. It may be too close to the rev limiter rpm. Mine had similar symptoms but only on the 2-3 shift. Not long after that, they failed. Hope it's only a tuning problem. G/L
Old 07-01-2009, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PedaltoMetal
Find out the commanded shift RPM. It may be too close to the rev limiter rpm. Mine had similar symptoms but only on the 2-3 shift. Not long after that, they failed. Hope it's only a tuning problem. G/L
I hope so too. This is the second time they have rebuilt my transmission. The first time they forgot to put all of the bolts back in it and it failed after two days. I will not be using them again if it is F%$*ed up again somehow. I am just going to cut my losses and buy a built Tranny.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

Well, I played around with it some more, and finally got it somewhat working for now. I had to set the Rev Limiter to 6100 and the tire height to 26.50. It still does not shift from 1st @ WOT. The shifts are also very spongy. I dont know what is up but the shop is definitely getting a call tomorrow.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:51 AM
12 Second Club

After getting dicked around for more than a week by the shop I finally got the issue fixed. The shifts are still not firm, but the car shifts now at least. If this tranny goes out I am just going to pick up a T-56 and install it and be done with it. Never had trouble with my 2 6 speed birds.