Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E in a Mercedes - shift cable??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4L60E in a Mercedes - shift cable??

Got the 4L60E attached to the LS6 and bolted into the '87 560SEC. Now the problem is the shifter linkage. GM has a shift linkage (if I have the story right) that has a pivot point at the bottom of the lever and the shift cable attaches above the pivot point. Pull the lever back from Park and it pulls the cable. Mercedes is different, of course. The pivot point is in the middle and a 4" piece of steel extends down into the tunnel area. Pull the lever back from park and that lever moves forward. I tried to make a custom arm on the 4L that extended up and use the steel 3/8" rod to do the shifting. Nope, too much stuff in the way, including the 4L's black switch assembly shown in the picture below.

If I use a GM style shift cable, it will be able to get around the switch (I think) and it's flexible compared to the solid steel rod MB uses. Two choices - if I get a 36" cable, I can try to make another shift lever for the 4L input shaft and extend it upwards so that the MB "backwards" motion shifts the tranny correctly. One problem is that it's about 33" from the shift lever to the input shaft. That would mean an interesting lever arm unless I can get a custom length cable. Do they make them??

The second option is to get a much longer cable, maybe 5 foot long, so that it goes beside the top of the bell housing, loops down and then back to the shift lever. That would let it actuate a somewhat normal GM style shift lever on the 4L input shaft by coming from the other direction, but..... how small a loop can the cable stand making it's 180 degree turn? I might have a foot or a touch more, but that's about all the room available for the cable to loop around.

Whaddya think??
Attached Thumbnails 4L60E in a Mercedes - shift cable??-tranny-sec-1.jpg  
Old 07-05-2009, 12:31 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you using the manual lever position sensor on the side of the trans where the shifter linkage comes out of the transmission? If not you might be able to use a short linkage shaft and maybe gain some more space. Then point your linkage arm upward and fabricate the metal piece that comes off of your existing shifter assembly. This way it will push the linkage arm instead of pulling on it. I would look for a C5 linkage arm and a short linkage shaft out of a Fbody for the trans. This will include removing the trans pan in order to swap the shift linkage shaft. You will have to figure out how to make a swivel joint for the linkage arm to the rod that runs to your shifter in the car. Or it sounds like a custom shifter might be in your future. Just a couple thoughts. Vince
Old 07-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vince - I'll call you Monday to discuss. Thanks for the advice.

Mike