Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Part numbers for fittings-4l60E

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Part numbers for fittings-4l60E

Looking for the fitting part number from summit or jegs for the tranny cooler fittings at the tranny that are needed to run AN fittings out to a cooler.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nobody? I wanted to order the hoses today..
Old 07-16-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

SUM-220647 this is the part # I used on my car.

Last edited by allthrotle; 07-19-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

Those are not the correct fittings. Most transmissions do not use NPT threads, they are NPSM fitting, which is not a tapered thread.

The NPT will screw in but it's a very good way to break the case, and in many cases they will not seal because it isn't taper-taper fit.

ATI 925137 for -6

or
ATI 925138 for -8

are the Summit part numbers.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jakeshoe
Those are not the correct fittings. Most transmissions do not use NPT threads, they are NPSM fitting, which is not a tapered thread.

The NPT will screw in but it's a very good way to break the case, and in many cases they will not seal because it isn't taper-taper fit.

ATI 925137 for -6

or
ATI 925138 for -8

are the Summit part numbers.
I used those fittings and guess what they didnt work! the fittings I provided above worked in my transmission just fine without any leaks. I was very careful installing them as I didnt want to crack the case. NO CRACKS, NO LEAKS.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by allthrotle
I used those fittings and guess what they didnt work!
I use them on customer transmissions all the time, what "didn't work" about them?
Old 07-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Launching!

I use them on customer transmissions all the time, what "didn't work" about them?
I am curious as well.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

I have two sets in stock now, one I owe to a customer when he gets by to pick them up and another for stock in case I need them.

I'm not sure how they would fail and a NPT fitting would work other than incorrect installation.

Some earlier transmission used NPT threads. Glides had 1/8" NPT and I think later 1/4", and some early TH350s used 1/4" NPT. However all the later TH350's, Th400's, and anything built after about early 70's have the NPSM.

Sounds odd to me...
Old 07-17-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

When I tried threading mine in they would barley start to thread in before it wouldnt turn anymore. I didnt want to tweak on them to hard cause I didnt want to crack the case. I used the pipe thread fittings and threaded in just fine. Then I snugged them up with a wrench and called it a day. I dont have any leaks what so ever. Plus the pipe thread fittings are cheaper than the ati fittings.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:04 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds even more odd since they have the same thread pitch as the NPT fittings.

The NPT fittings aren't cheaper when they cost you a transmission case.

The point is,
you gave out the incorrect PN for transmission fittings. If what you used worked for you, great, however I don't recommend using the NPT on a transmission.

Use the correct parts and prevent a major (and expensive) hassle.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds even more odd since they have the same thread pitch as the NPT fittings.

The NPT fittings aren't cheaper when they cost you a transmission case.

The point is,
you gave out the incorrect PN for transmission fittings. If what you used worked for you, great, however I don't recommend using the NPT on a transmission.

Use the correct parts and prevent a major (and expensive) hassle.
Thats great to point out YOUR opinion but, the part # I gave out works and Im sure you can crack the tranny case with those ati fittings too if your not careful.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

My "opinion"...
I build racing and performance transmissions for a living. I would think my "opinion" has a bit more bearing than someone who answers a phone at Summit and has likely never built an automatic transmission in their life.

I definitely have more experience in this area.

I think your afraid to admit you gave out the wrong part number because you used the wrong part on your car due to a lack of knowldge.

I'll buy the fittings direct from ATI from now on or Jegs, if I can expect that type of "tech advice" from a phone jockey at Summit.

So why did the CORRECT fitting leak on your transmission when they work fine for everybody else?

Installation error or you didn't even try them?
Old 07-19-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

My "opinion"...
I build racing and performance transmissions for a living. I would think my "opinion" has a bit more bearing than someone who answers a phone at Summit and has likely never built an automatic transmission in their life.
Real mature.... Good luck with your inferiority complex.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

My "opinion"...

I definitely have more experience in this area.

I think your afraid to admit you gave out the wrong part number because you used the wrong part on your car due to a lack of knowldge.

I'll buy the fittings direct from ATI from now on or Jegs, if I can expect that type of "tech advice" from a phone jockey at Summit.

So why did the CORRECT fitting leak on your transmission when they work fine for everybody else?

Installation error or you didn't even try them?
Im not going to get on here and have an internet battle with you on what fittings work and what fittings dont work, the fitting # I provided works, plain and simple. Im sure the ati fittings work and you use them all the time they just didnt work on mine. You can order your fittings from who ever you like thats your choice. Just like I can decide not to order a transmission from you if I was looking for one. As for your comment on what Ive built and what I havent built you dont jack. Ive rebuilt autos, manuals, and a few t-cases. Oh btw I asked FLT what I should use and they said they use npt fittings just a little fyi. FLT rebuilds performance transmissions for a living as well and I think their opinion has a bit more bearing then yours.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE
Real mature.... Good luck with your inferiority complex.
Are you trying to back up your buddy, do ya'll work together or what?

No inferiority complex here, just stating what I do and attempting to dispel some incorrect information that might save an enthusiast a large chunk of change in the future.

I guess it's good for Summit's business to recommend the wrong parts?
Potentially get to sell a transmission. Much more profit in a trans than a couple of fittings maybe?
Old 07-19-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

FLT has a proven reputation, they have my respect for being in this business. I've spoken with Vince on a couple of occassions, as well as Frank with Performabuilt, and I speak often (weekly) with other names in the industry (Chris at CKPerformance, Lonnie Diers at Extreme Automatics, Mike at Vortech Converters, and others).

FLT is a sponsor here, so I'll give them the credit due, however as a builder I feel its a bad idea to use (or recommend) an incorrect fitting. Too many guys will eff it up. It may "work" but it also has the possibility of causing damage that the correct fitting will prevent.
If they recommend those, then good, I don't.

Fittings threaded in finger tight...
Old 07-19-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Are you trying to back up your buddy, do ya'll work together or what?

No inferiority complex here, just stating what I do and attempting to dispel some incorrect information that might save an enthusiast a large chunk of change in the future.

I guess it's good for Summit's business to recommend the wrong parts?
Potentially get to sell a transmission. Much more profit in a trans than a couple of fittings maybe?
FLT recommended npt fittings for me so why would it be any different if I recommended the same fittings for someone else? I guess its cause I dont rebuild transmissions for a living like you.

You can say that npt fittings are incorrect all you want thats fine, Im saying they worked just fine for me, no cracks, and no leaks. That is all.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

if the factory fittings are still in the trans, pretty easy to fig what they are-most are 1/4-18 straight thread, which uses a gasket-true some people screw in reg pipe where a straight thread should go, but some people prob use channel locks on rod bolts too, lol
here some other stuff
http://www.purechoicemotorsports.com...cat/cat135.htm
Old 07-19-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by allthrotle
FLT recommended npt fittings for me so why would it be any different if I recommended the same fittings for someone else? I guess its cause I dont rebuild transmissions for a living like you.

I'm actually surprised FLT recommend a NPT fitting. They are one of only a few performance transmission companies who I think are actually putting out a GOOD product day in and day out and from what I've seen on here they KNOW what they are talking about, hydraulically and mechanically on various units, not just the 4L60E's.

It's usually good practice to listen to the guys who do this everyday, you might learn something. I've rebuilt almost 3 automatics this weekend trying to get caught up around the shop. So I've done more than a "handful".
It's heartbreaking to see the guy who is working on a shoestring budget (I've been there) ruin his stuff because somebody he trusted gave him bad advice.

I've seen the busted cases. The scenario that happens here is a guy screws an NPT fitting in place of an NPSM.
It works for a bit maybe, or it leak immediately, but either way, more often than not it eventually leaks. It's already in the car, so a guy tries to tighten it up. He may or may not know it's the incorrect fitting, it's the correct thread pitch so it seemed to screw in fine. The salesperson told him it was the correct fitting...
He tightens it up a bit.
it still leaks. He might take it out and out some thread tape on it. Retightens it. This goes on and in some cases it ends up in a cracked case.

Is the salesperson going to pay for the busted case?

The trans shop has to charge him for a core, the correct fittings, and a rebuild or at least the labor to re-case the trans. Several hundred dollars at a minimum because the guy might have saved $15 on fittings.

It's bad economy.

If it worked for you great. Hopefully it continues to work well.
There is a reason that the OEM's quit using NPT at this location.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

I'm actually surprised FLT recommend a NPT fitting. They are one of only a few performance transmission companies who I think are actually putting out a GOOD product day in and day out and from what I've seen on here they KNOW what they are talking about, hydraulically and mechanically on various units, not just the 4L60E's.

It's usually good practice to listen to the guys who do this everyday, you might learn something.
I do listen to the guys who do this everyday beacuse I asked FLT on more than one occasion if I should use the npt or the npsm fittings. I was told npt works fine. I can see your point of view and I can respect your opinion but, when I got some of the best in the business telling me this works and it worked on my personal vehicle I gotta go with what they say.

Quick Reply: Part numbers for fittings-4l60E