Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ready to turn the fresh motor but have question about tranny fluid?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready to turn the fresh motor but have question about tranny fluid?????

Getting ready to start the new motor but have a ?????? I was topping fluids and the tranny was bone dry and it was coming out the overfill tube... Just curious what the deal is. It was completly empty all though may be a bit in the stall convertor that didn't leak out the. I was informed in needs 21.6 pints and I only got roughly 2 and 1/2 gallons which is what 20 pints when I noticed it was coming out the over fill tube...... Am I doing something wrong, will I be good to start or what? Don't know how much is the convertor. Should I start it and then cycle threw the drive and reverse???? Want to do this start before the kids go to bed, very anxious!!!! What do you suggest guys?????

Can I start it and cycle through the gears to get the convertor filled what's the deal???? Not sure how much may be in the convertor itself????
Old 07-20-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Tranny section and no one has a clue???????
Old 07-20-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

It only needs 5 quarts until you start the engine. After start-up, finish putting the rest of the fluid in it. The fluid just simply didn't have anywhere to go, and it doesn't get inside of the converter until the engine is running.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Resident

I'll be starting it tonight then. Was just a bit conscerned about the the over flow when I know it holds more than what I put into it. I was assuming it would have been ok to start but wanted to verify with folks that have done this before! Thanks!
Old 07-21-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

sure, its like that with bone dry rear ends too. They fill up too early but then after some use they are low on fluid. I guess there are lots of cracks and crevices that the fluid has to go into.