Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E...strange issue off idle.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E...strange issue off idle.

I am posting this for a friend, here is what is happening...

I've gotta say right now i'm leaning towards a mechanical problem(solenoid or other issue in the trans).. I just got my car back on the road (YAY!) But I have a few funny issues with the transmission that I don't know if they are electrical in nature, or mechanical. I'm a pessimist so I'm leaning towards mechanical.

But here's what its doing.

Issue #1: Coming off idle in OD, D, 2, or 1 the engine revs up a few hundred RPM then the car jerks forward as the trans finally catches. Once it is in gear upshifts are positive and get progressively firmer with more throttle all the way up to a WOT upshift. This jerk off idle only happens in forward, not reverse. Doesn't matter whether the selector is in OD, D, 2 or 1.

Issue #2 This is possibly PCM tune related but I'm not sure. When the selector is in OD and i'm cruising in 4th gear anywhere above 40mph if i let off the throttle to coast it downshifts to 3rd instantly. When I give it throttle, just enough to accelerate again it upshifts into 4th gear and continues on with the TC locked like it should be. 4th doesn't feel like its slipping at all. Also, while its in OD if I let off the gas the engine will throttle down to about a 500rpm idle no matter what speed i'm at. If I put it in D the engine revs will stay with the speed and drop as speed drops. So 3rd gear isn't slipping as the trans seems to respond to throttle changes as it should. TC is locked in 3rd and 4th above 40mph.

This could just be valve body related too. Though I've never had a trans do this.

Does anyone have any ideas other than rebuild the trans? Perhaps its a sticking solenoid?

Any ideas?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Broslowski
iTS THE TUNE.
The no engine braking in 4th sounds like overrun clutches. I had a brief thought earlier, and the more I read on overrun clutches the more it sounds like it could be it (either it not engaging, or being worn).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4L60E...strange issue off idle.