Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flat in 3rd then picks up

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default flat in 3rd then picks up

i had my z out on test n tune and the first pass it left like a bat out of hell. the next pass when i left it went flat at the gate and picked up the rpms till it shifted to 3rd and then it fell to 3,000 rpms and acted like i had cruise control on for a second then it picked up the rpms. the problem im having i dont know if it's the trans or may be the tune. i think its the trans because if
i launch in 2nd gear then throw it into 3rd it's a differnet car. but when i just leave it in o/d it will leave good but it falls on its face on the 2-3 shift then picks up the rpms. i leave traction control off on all my passes but i still get a low trac light when i go down the 1/4 mile.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Low Trac is the ABS signalling, TCS turn off just
keeps the system from doing anything about it.

I'd be suspecting a big knock retard event from
the way you describe it, maybe from an exhaust
banging deal when the shift event torque rolls the
motor more than usual? Or just a transient short
fueling. You'd want to scan for KR and what the
O2 sensors can tell you about mixture in-the-
moment, to decide what's likeliest.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had it back at the track today and went 14.01 just by shifting it myself, compared to keeping it in o/d i went 17.64. it has new 02's but i dont have a computer to put it on, unless the hand scanners autozone sells would work. its a new motor but the quickest it went was 13:70 wednesday night, last season with stock cam it went 12:90, so im lost with the car it was mail tuned for the fm-14 and it runs great on the street but the moment it touches the track it doesnt want to go. each pass in the car is completely differnet, i have no idea of what to dail the car in at because it jumps all around in the times. i launched it acouple times and it went right from low into 3rd gear at the line, my buddy put it on his scanner and couldnt find any codes except for the 02's heaters not working, but i replaced both 02's.