Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q on t-56 to 700 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q on t-56 to 700 swap

I have a 94 Z28 and i am goint to take the T-56 out and put a 700r4 in. the trany has a full manual valve body and i have a ratchet shifter. it is a built street car.

What do i need to make the 700 work in my car without swaping the whole harness out to an automatic. i still drive it on the highway so i would want the stall to lockup. i wont mind if i have to shift it manualy still on the street.

Thank you
Old 08-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Teching In

ANY info on this? its for myself
Old 08-26-2009, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

If your going to a 700 you will want the manual harness anyways....
Old 08-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Why is that?

I have the tranny. disregaurd the first post. what will i need to make this work?
Thank you for the info
Old 08-27-2009, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Any ideas?
Old 09-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Someone has to have a clue
Old 09-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Teching In

??????????
Old 09-02-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

You will need a flexplate and an auto crossmember. You will need a stock auto shifter (or aftermarket) and the shifter plate/console from an auto car. If you use a stock F-body shifter be aware that there are extra sheet-metal brackets and such that the auto shifter bolts to that a 6-speed car doesn't have. If you choose an aftermarket shifter you will need to fab up your own mounting and either modify a stock shifter plate/console or come up with some other way to make it look decent in your center console. You will need a throttle cable bracket from a '93 F-body in order to hook up the T.V. cable. You will also need a radiator from an automatic F-body (or aftermarket auxiliary cooler) and transmission cooler lines. If the 700R4 is an early model unit you will need to change out the plastic speedometer drive gear with a metal reluctor wheel from a later unit as well as find a speed sensor for it. You will need to have the PCM tuned to adjust for the different number of teeth on the auto trans. reluctor vs. the manual trans. reluctor if you want your speedometer to read correctly.

There are a couple ways to get the reverse lights to work:

-Use an aftermarket shifter which has a provision for reverse lights (usually a switch mounted on the shifter) and route the wires from the reverse light switch (passenger side of T-56 trans.) to it.

-Use a stock auto shifter and get a wiring diagram and figure out which wires you need to hook up.

-Buy a toggle switch and run the wires to it (yes, same wires as above) and turn the lights on manually when you put the car in reverse (ghetto).

Lock-up:

All you "should" need to make lock-up work is a wiring diagram for the four pin case connector on the driver's side of the transmission. Simply supply 12v to the correct pin and the converter "should" lock-up when the transmission shifts to 4th gear. The problem with this is that lock-up will be stacked almost immediately on top of 4th and may lug the engine a little at lower RPM and it won't unlock if you gently "crowd" the throttle. The trans will have to downshift to third for the converter to unlock. These are things that the factory computer would control. You could also just put lock-up on a toggle switch and turn it on manually when you are cruising on the hwy. but then you would have to remember to turn it off and on.

The only thing you can re-use is your 6-speed driveshaft.

Last edited by GMRACER13; 09-02-2009 at 09:24 PM.