Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

used stall question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default used stall question

I was thinking about buying a used stall, i was wondering how many miles is the stall good for before i would i have to get it freshend up? How much would that cost to be done?
Old 09-01-2009, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are buying a used stall, plan on having it freshened up. You can never really be sure how many miles are actually on it. Also, you don't know whether those miles were put on a 1/4 mile at a time.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^^what he said. Not to mention that unless you personally saw the trans pan from the original trans, I would automatically be paranoid that there is a bunch of crap inside the converter....and that it quite possibly came from a junk trans. But then again, I'm just paranoid like that.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

i would send it to a converter company and have it cut opened, cleaned and inspected before you throw it in your car. Ya never know what its been in, maybe it was in a trans that crapped out and sent debris throughout the converter.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Edge, who I bought my previous stall from charged $90 for a cut and clean.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

ok cool so i should look to spend about 100bucks to get it freshend up
Old 09-02-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

i personally wouldnt run a used stall.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

I'd have no reservations with running a used converter so long as it was gone through and cleaned up by the original manufacturer.

Otherwise, like the other guys said, if this verter was on a trani that failed, there very well could be debris in there that will get into your trani and ruin it.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
i personally wouldnt run a used stall.
I can agree to a point. I personally dont drive my car much, and I recently pulled my converter and sold it. My converter had 5k or less on it and had performed flawlessly. It had new trans fluid put in when it was installed with a new filter. I never locked the converter on the dyno or any other time at WOT. I also wouldn't make it pull in 4th with the clutch locked up, as this can cause premature clutch failure. I sold it for about half what it cost new. It was a loss on my part but a good deal for someone else. I can agree about buying something used that you cannot see the inside of it, but sometimes you gotta trust people I would make sure the person selling it can verify its history.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I can agree to a point. I personally dont drive my car much, and I recently pulled my converter and sold it. My converter had 5k or less on it and had performed flawlessly. It had new trans fluid put in when it was installed with a new filter. I never locked the converter on the dyno or any other time at WOT. I also wouldn't make it pull in 4th with the clutch locked up, as this can cause premature clutch failure. I sold it for about half what it cost new. It was a loss on my part but a good deal for someone else. I can agree about buying something used that you cannot see the inside of it, but sometimes you gotta trust people I would make sure the person selling it can verify its history.

good points man!! you need to get it inspected and verify the condition of the converter. plus also these trannies are hit or miss. if you wouldnt put in a cheap converter in a suspect tranny why take the chance on a used converter.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
dont worry i trust you haha. ill be putting it in starting tomorrow