Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 tailshaft difference

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TH400 tailshaft difference

Why is everyone worried about the tailshaft housing size... I mean I found alot of th400's here and I want to buy one, but the only one I found is the long tailshaft one...

I have a 240sx with an LS1, and I do all the custom work from the transmission mounts to the driveshaft, so should I care that the transmission is longer or shorter? power difference? anything at all that I should care about?!

I already have the LS1 + 4L60e on the car... bolted up, but the 4L60e gave up, so I'm going with a th400...
Old 09-04-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

any pictures guys, I need to know the one I've seen if its the 9" or the 13" I still need an answer if theres a difference in power or anything that would affect its performance?
Old 09-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Launching!

Default check out the sticky

Check out the sticky on the top of the page and go to the faq about Turbo 350/400's........ about halfway down there is some pics w/dimensions.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:48 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In your case it does not matter. The reason why guys get certain length tails is so a new drive shaft does not need to be made. Budget builds so to speak. Just get what you want and get a drive shaft made. Vince B
Old 09-07-2009, 07:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

it really doesnt matter about the length, if it fits it fits-the short shaft is the most popular for fit, the long shaft came in big Impala's, most people shy away from them
Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

yeah so does my mechanic, he said he won't install the th400 if i get the long one lol... he was kidding but he dosn't like it...
Old 09-12-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

guys can you please check this torque converter, is it the one that should come with the th400, because I've seen others with different holes on them... so Im worried this could be the wrong torque converter or could be a different model one...

And why the hell does my tag say nothing like any other th400...?

the yellow tag on the side says:

N A

75 - NA 1184

what did this come from? and is it the proper TH400 I should be using on my
LS1
Attached Thumbnails TH400 tailshaft difference-image027.jpg  
Old 09-13-2009, 07:23 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

I replied in another thread you asked this question and figured I would post it here as well. BTW I think that trans came out of a 1975 vehicle.

Originally Posted by wajouba
cant I go with GM Spacer instead of the Hughes? cause some people are saying the GM spacer can be taken off, but the hughes mut be hammered in and once in can't be taken out...

?!
The gm spacer would be the route I would take or get a custom stall converter with the correct pilot on it. To me it just makes sense.

will this torque converter work with the GM spacer to fit into the LS1 5.7L I have... cause I've seen different torque converters, can anyone confirm...?
The converter in the picture was what I would back in the day call a th350 converter. This was a very common style for th350 units in cars. However the 400 and the 350 converters are very much the same. Reason is because both units have the same spline counts for the stator, input shaft and the pump.

As for you question on will it bolt up to your flexplate. You will have to hold it up to what you plan on using to see if the bolt pattern for the converter pads is correct. Vince B
Old 09-13-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks Vince, your so much Help bro... I think I'd go with this Torque converter and not the th400 one because it looks lighter than the th400's torque... is that true by any means..?

The kit Im getting which would help me get this tranny behind my LS1 is the kit from Advanceadapters.com it includes a flexplate and a spacer... to make it work...

Thanks
Old 09-13-2009, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
In your case it does not matter. The reason why guys get certain length tails is so a new drive shaft does not need to be made. Budget builds so to speak. Just get what you want and get a drive shaft made. Vince B
so i wont need another ds with the short tail on the th400?
Old 09-13-2009, 07:17 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Thanks Vince, your so much Help bro... I think I'd go with this Torque converter and not the th400 one because it looks lighter than the th400's torque... is that true by any means..?

The kit Im getting which would help me get this tranny behind my LS1 is the kit from Advanceadapters.com it includes a flexplate and a spacer... to make it work...

Thanks
Not sure how much if any as far as the weight is concerned.

I can understand the flex plate and the spacer from them if your oem flexplate does not work. However when you mention advanced adapters I'm thinking they are trying to sell you something that goes between the engine and trans. I do not think that is needed. Vince B

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
so i wont need another ds with the short tail on the th400?
The original poster in this thread does not have a fbody so in his case he needs one regardless. That is a good question in your case. I'm pretty sure the th400 is shorter with the short tail than the 4l60e. So you might have an issue with this. I would need to make some measurements of units I have at the shop to confirm this. Maybe someone that has done this will post up or you can always check the stickies at the top of the page. Vince B
Old 09-14-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Regular

as I have heard, the only thing that will bolt right in place of a 4l60e is a 9" TH350 other than that everything needs modifiying...

Quick Reply: TH400 tailshaft difference