Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E Slip Yoke (I've read the stickies)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4L80E Slip Yoke (I've read the stickies)

I've got a 4l80e thats going in my ls1 mustang.

It's not the type that has the splines on the entire output shaft. It has them about half way then stops then there is a oring then its smooth all the way to the trans case. I got the trans with a bolt on yoke.

Will I need to buy another yoke or can I use the bolt on yoke?
I will be having a driveshaft custom made.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe i'm going to need a th400 slip yoke, but I just want to confrim that.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

You have more than one option. The common solution is to install a slip yoke that is not splined the entire length, the open end will not be splined, it goes over the o-ring, sealing off the splines so the fluid can't leak out. The less common solution would be a driveshaft like a typical 4x4 truck as, with a slip joint in the shaft and fixed yokes on each end.

If you have a ball bearing tailshaft housing from a motor home or delivery van you are screwed (like me). The ball bearings I.D. is not the same as the TH400 so no normal slip yoke will work, and you will have to get another tailshaft housing if you want a conventional slip yoke setup.

Local driveshaft shops probably can get you the right yoke for a 1350 joint second hand.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Addict

Plus, it don't haft to be from a 4l80e, the TH400 use the same yoke and does the old Muncie 4speeds. you can use the long full spline yoke ,but you can have it cut to the right lenth, and plug the vent hole in the back of the yoke ,to keep fluid from leaking out.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

I cut the shafts on a lathe so they can take a normal slip yoke and get adequate spline engagement.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:08 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Jake I see your using Carl's brake! Does that one have one or two solenoids on it? I have two coming for a couple I'm doing next week. Supposed to be the pro tree ones. I can't wait to see how much faster they are. Vince B
Old 09-10-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes,
After trying the Trinity junk I came up with a full manual brake of my own based on the TransGo-3 kit.
I've been using the Rossler brake for the automatics.
I think I've got a really slick automatic brake setup for the 4L80E's. The parts are prototyped and I have a vehicle to test them in. I just have to get freed up enough to test it.

If mine works out, you'll be able to use the stock pan and have what should be a pretty quick reacting brake.

I never did even get to look at Carl's real close to see what he was doing with the circuits. It's a nice looking piece.

Quick Reply: 4L80E Slip Yoke (I've read the stickies)