Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stall and cam dilemma

Old 09-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stall and cam dilemma

Hello! My name is Kalee and I recently bought my 2nd WS6. It is an automatic 2002 Trans Am WS6. It is stock and I plan on putting long tube headers, y pipe and cam on it. I wanted to get a cam without a stall right now but everyone has been telling me that I might as well get both since I want a cam with a semi-rough idle, LOUD sound and awesome performance, nothing wimpy. I am not at all familiar with what size cam or stall I need and although I know its going to cost some money for all this I dont want to spend tons. Any suggestions on stall and cam??
Old 09-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Banned

3600 + ms4/ ms3!
Old 09-10-2009, 01:36 AM
Staging Lane

ss4000 with ms3 going in soon
Old 09-10-2009, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pt4400 and ms3!!!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You really should do the stall first. If you go with a semi radical cam with the stock converter you will have issues as the cam will usually require a higher idle rpm as well as some other tuning to get the car running nice. It will be an absolute turd without a stall unless you are moving pretty good with the rpms up in the powerband. (No fun at all)

It really depends on your goals, but if you just want just a choppy idle and don't care about a big dyno number, I'd stick with a valvetrain friendly cam that has a low ICL.

Contact Patrick G. He's fairly close to you and can spec out the perfect cam for what an off the shelf cam would cost and can tune it to idle smooth as stock and still give ya the rumpity rump you are looking for.

I would contact Circle D In Houston for your converter choice once you decide on a cam. The 4C is a fun TC and will work well with a decent sized cam.

G/L
Old 09-11-2009, 05:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXCAMSS
You really should do the stall first. If you go with a semi radical cam with the stock converter you will have issues as the cam will usually require a higher idle rpm as well as some other tuning to get the car running nice. It will be an absolute turd without a stall unless you are moving pretty good with the rpms up in the powerband. (No fun at all)

It really depends on your goals, but if you just want just a choppy idle and don't care about a big dyno number, I'd stick with a valvetrain friendly cam that has a low ICL.

Contact Patrick G. He's fairly close to you and can spec out the perfect cam for what an off the shelf cam would cost and can tune it to idle smooth as stock and still give ya the rumpity rump you are looking for.

I would contact Circle D In Houston for your converter choice once you decide on a cam. The 4C is a fun TC and will work well with a decent sized cam.

G/L
agreed, except for the 4c part, that may be a little much lol. 2c at the lowest, a 3c would be a good happy medium.

OP, is this a DD or a weekend warrior, track car.... ? more info= better reccomendations.

Search this Thread