Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans fluid..Which is best for the buck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans fluid..Which is best for the buck?

Im about to be getting my tranny back together and am wanting to know what tranny fluid is best for the buck?
Type F , Dexron/Mercon regular or synthetic?

Ive always heard to use type f because of the friction modifiers in it, but also heard its more prone to clog pressure sensors.
I know dexron mercon is the standard on these but what about the synthetic? Its a little pricey.
So anyways whats the pro and cons of the three?
Old 09-09-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't waste my money on synthetic. Make sure you have a good cooler to keep your temps down and run regular dexron III and change the fluid and filter every year or 20k miles minimum. I have been using the dex/merc from autozone in my performabuilt for over a year now with no issues.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin01Z28
I wouldn't waste my money on synthetic. Make sure you have a good cooler to keep your temps down and run regular dexron III and change the fluid and filter every year or 20k miles minimum. I have been using the dex/merc from autozone in my performabuilt for over a year now with no issues.
Amsoil sythetic 160k on a stock 4L60E 10 Summers spent in So. Ca & Vegas, Fontana, The strip, Irwindale, ( 1/4 mi & 1/8 mi. tracks) still going strong with only 50k mi. drain and refills, I run a fluidyne cooler and a Magnafine exsternal trans filter.
I Will be getting a new tranny soon and will be using Amsoil again this time with a drain plugged pan. I've run synthetics in some of what are considerd some of the weakest trannys around (AOD Ford, 200R4,4L60E, RE5R05A) and have never had one fail, unlike the post above I feel sythetic are worth every penny.