Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Shifting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting Shifting Problem

2000 trans am, only mods are long tubes and cat-back. A few weeks ago it started having some issues with the trans.

Starting from a dead stop, I have to get the motor up to about 2500-3000 rpm in first gear and completely let off the throttle and then it will shift into second upon returning back down to about 1000 rpm. If I don't let off of the gas it will never shift up to second. The 2-3 shift seems okay, possibly a bit sluggish. 3-4 will sometimes be a little slow as well.

When its in 4th, lockup seems really slow to actuate. If i give it more than maybe 1/5 throttle, it will rev up a lot, to about 2300 rpm, but does not kick down to 3rd. 1/4 throttle or more and it will kick down into 3rd and pull decent, but if I give it enough throttle to actuate a kick down into 2nd, it just freely revs without catching.

I unplugged the harness from the trans and all the solenoids and tcc threw codes. Took it down the road and it started out and started and stayed in overdrive, held the gear fine even with generous amounts of throttle.

After plugging the harness back in and clearing the codes it seems to have improved just a tiny bit, not much but noticeable.

I'm really thinking/hoping that its an electrical issue, maybe solenoids or a sensor, but I'm stumped right now as to what it could be. Any input or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also i forgot to add, the trans only has about 15k miles on it, and the problem wasn't progressive, it just happened one day on the way home from work, and hasn't gotten any better/worse.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Unplugging the harness you would not be able to shift to 4th gear. Sounds like there is and issue with the 2-4 band i am afraid a mechanical internal problem.

Call 888-744-6542