Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift kit?? & Torque Managment???

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Shift kit?? & Torque Managment???

I just installed a Transgo 4l60e-HD2 reprogramming kit on my car. Shifts like its still stock. i have a 3 shims put in (full race) but still nothing. i ran a PSI check and it stays pretty much at 65 psi under normal driving where it's supposed to be shifting at 90-105 psi thats what transgo says. under harder driving it was at 130-135 with a max of 145 i believe the transgo guy said i should of been somewhere in the mid 200's to high 200's. we followed the instructions to the letter taking our time with every step. every piece that was supposed to go on did. any ideas on what could be the problem?? i know they say if you have torque managment on the car it wont shift hard so i called the dealer and had them run my VIN to see if it was on my car and he said he couldn't find anything saying i have it. how do i know if its on my car?? could that be my shifting problem??
Old 09-11-2009, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

To my knowledge all 4l60e's in our cars had torque management.

I had the exact same situation you do (i did not check my pressures). I did the 3 shims, and i couldn't tell much difference at all. I got a mail order tune from steve (tuned by frost) and he ramped my TM (at low throttle it's still there but it decreases as the rpm's increase.

Now, anything over 1/4 throttle and the 1-2 shift breaks the tires loose...and i have DR's on it. Below 1/4 throttle it will jerk hard. At WOT it will fishtail a little on the street and just jerk the rear end a little at the track.

Get TM off of there and you'll be very happy. I wouldn't get it taken completely off because then you'll be hammering the gears all the time.

Also, everyone says 3 shims is too annoying for them...I don't think most of those people have actually tried it. With my torque converter softening the shifts, 3 shims is perfect. Even without the TC I liked the firm shifts.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

gatsby, would you or anyone car to post their tm tables?

want to see if i'm going the right way with it.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:05 PM
12 Second Club

I would love to help, how would I acquire that information? I have no tuning software of my own, I got mine done via mail order. Can I get a scanner of some sort?
Old 09-12-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

ahh...no probs...wasn't sure if you had a tuning program.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

ok. yea was starting to wonder if it was the tm causing this. im like you i was looking for some pretty hard shifts to. a lot of people told me it would be to much but i have a stock tc so i knew it would soften up some. i think im gonna take it up to cary, nc and try to find someone with a dyno turner and see if i can get it removed. thanks for the reply it was very helpful.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have no tm and I'm on a canned tune "diablosport"even with it on my car kicks you in the *** on the 1-2 or it did at least my shift pressure was wayyyyy to high and it was causing problems I broke the 1-2 accumaltor now I have a billet one in there. It didnt help that all my setting where set to max but now I'm having a problem with it shifting out of 2nd at wot. I have noooooo idea what my shift pressure is but I know when my transmission guy had the pan dropped he turned down the pressure via the little set screw. And gatsby is right all 4l60's have tm on them.