Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shift kit worth it on a stockish car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift kit worth it on a stockish car?

Just wondered if it's worth getting one?
Will I feel a differance?
I know they're not straight forward to install, but will we be able to install it ourselves?

I also hear shifts in an A4 can be firmed up with a tune, maybe I'd be better getting this done instead?

Your thoughts please....
Old 09-12-2009, 07:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i just had a shiftkit put in my car since im putting a stall in it. its good for the transmission because it makes shifts quicker making the tranny stay on the clutches less. and it also gave me a reason to take it to a shop and let them have a look at it. a local but very good builder did the install for 125 and looked at the tranny while it was there, installed a new filter, and the front and rear seals for me.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

That's a great install price, maybe I'll have a shop do the install for me...
Does it feel much different to drive?

I'm not planning to add a TC, but I wonder if the shift kit is worthwhile....
Old 09-12-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say yes. Just one thing don't get it set to shift too hard. It gets really annoying spinning tires when your just driving around normal. It is worth it because of the reason stated above.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

if it means anything to you, i was going to put one in regardless of installing the stall or not.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Shift kit gets my vote. I have a kit on both my vehicles. One has a 3000stall the other stock. I noticed a SOTP difference on both. It depends on your mechanical experience when it comes to installing one. Most instructions are very detailed. If you have only changed oil, let a pro do it. If you can do head/cam swaps, you can do it. Just to give you an idea.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it had to be rebuilt, it would be a 'while Im in there' upgrade. I wouldnt take a trans apart just for that Line pressures can be tuned on LT1s, Im sure LS1's are the same. Alot to be had in a good tune if you dont have one.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

I'm guessing your looking at the transgo shift kit, if so that is a re programing kit and the correct way to install that is to take the tranny apart to up grade th spring pack internally, Many shops 'DO NOT' add those and it leads to premature trany failure.. And they put in all three spacers and kill the tranny shifting to hard..
Old 09-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 94LTZ
I'm guessing your looking at the transgo shift kit, if so that is a re programing kit and the correct way to install that is to take the tranny apart to up grade th spring pack internally, Many shops 'DO NOT' add those and it leads to premature trany failure.. And they put in all three spacers and kill the tranny shifting to hard..
It won't hurt anything not to install the return springs and orifice in the drum. The stock engine rev limiter will not allow it to spin high enough to take advantage of them. I agree on the the spacers. With a stall, just one'll do ya.

The trans does not have to come apart to install. Only the VB needs to be removed.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe it's just me but i like to install all parts that come with a kit when it comes to parts like that..
Old 09-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 94LTZ
Maybe it's just me but i like to install all parts that come with a kit when it comes to parts like that..
I'm with you one hundred percent. Mine has the complete install. But the average enthusiast is unable or unwilling to disassemble a trans to install something they don't have to on a stock or near stock set-up. To install the springs you have to remove the pump, input drum and completely disassemble the drum to install the springs and orifice. If you go through all that you might as well put in new frictions and inspect seals/bearings for damage. Hunt down a case to pump gasket and reassemble.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

I just don't see why people don't install the entire package,when the guy put mine in he didn't even tell me about the parts, needless to say he wont touch my car again.. So i ended up buildin my owen trany and haven't had a problem yet even with nitrous..
Old 09-13-2009, 05:39 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for all your replys

Sounds worth the swap

1. Is it much better than tuning line pressure and firming up shifts?

I agree, better to full install all parts, but wouldn't like to remove my trans (or have a shop do it), so would probably just install the parts that can be got to.

The trans does not have to come apart to install. Only the VB needs to be removed.
2. What's VB?

3. I was under the impression a kit could be installed with the trans still on the car?

I always like to do the work myself where possable, but this might be beyond me. My ability's about halfway between an oil change and H/C swap
I'm going to get a shop to install my gears when it's time....

It sounds worth the swap, so I'd like one.
So, is it much better than tuning?

Thanks for the advise
Old 09-13-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I would assume VB = valve body
Old 09-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Teching In

I installed my TransGo myself 2 years ago (while trans in car) and have had no problems since. My car is modded with heads and cam and a few extras all controlled by a heavy foot. A shift kit is worth it - then a tune to get your shift points where you want them. IMO
Old 09-13-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Junkie

First, let's clarify that we are discussing the TransGo HD2 shift kit. It is designed to be installed by a professional, and so a few details might be missing in the instructions as "well, you already know this". The TransGo also comes in a "consumer version" that has a video, but it is not nearly as complete as the HD2 kit. There is another brand out there (B&M?) but it is not worth bothering with.
Do not just raise the line pressure with a tune. No comparison at all.
The most detailed work (and thus the easiest place to screw up) is the valve body (VB). There are also a couple of tricks to be played there that you should find out about. I'm not an expert in this, but I've listened and read enough to know this.
The springs inside the transmission are not a requirement, and I strongly suggest you set those aside. I put over 15k miles on mine w/o the springs, driven by a 400 rwhp turbo engine. Never had a problem.
Go with one washer for a smooth shift at partial throttle. You'll understand when you get there.
You do not have to drop the trans if you do not install the trans springs.
Take your time, be careful, and study the instructions carefully before starting. You should be fine, it can be done.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for letting me know it's worth installing the shift kit and then tuning the line pressures.
I'm a bit concerned though, as one of the stickies says:
have been generally reccomending that folks EITHER run a shift kit or play a little bit with line pressure but not to do both at the same time
I guess the tuner needs the car and efi live to measure the current pressure.
Edit: (Ahh, I see, you mean 'at the same time' as in shift kit, then tune around it, can a mail order tune do that?....).

Good to hear I should be able to struggle through the install, without having to remove the trans.

I've not decided which one to buy yet, do you recommend the Transgo HD2, considering I want to keep the trans in the car?

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by taws6; 09-14-2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:51 AM
TECH Resident

So, is the shift kit worth it if I only install the parts in the valve body?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by taws6; 09-14-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:35 AM
TECH Addict

So this is not a recommended DIY project for a mechanically inclined individual?

I plan to install on in my 4L80 when I pick one up this fall
Old 09-14-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

Hey white lightning

I have no idea how involved the shift kit is to install.
I have herd they come with fairly detailed instructions, and should be achievable for the more experience mechanic.

Quick Reply: shift kit worth it on a stockish car?