Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400..... problems.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default TH400..... problems.

So today i decided would be the time to change the fluid/filter/gasket needing to be done.....and also replace the leaky O-ring on the T-brake solenoid.

Got it all done and went very straight forward. no install problems. found the new gasket started a leak after start up just a very slow drip coming from a bolt head under the pass side, seems the gasket split around the bolt. (ok no problem ill replace it)

took the car for a drive and to see if the t-brake worked without spewing fluid.

drove the car for a while 1-2-3 shifts all fine. checked the t-brake (didnt launch it, just stalled it to 4K) no problem. drove back to the garage.

car sat for a while and as i went to go drive her back home....

shift 1-2 feeling very soft now and delayed with no kick like before.... get to third and the rear tires LOCK UP! throw it to 2nd and everything is fine again.... i tested this one more time at low speed and even from a stop. the car moves about 2 feet and locks up only in third gear

any idea if this is a problem related stricly to something that involved the filter change or even something with the T-brake noid (which i disconnected the power to after the first time it locked, thinking it was the problem)?
Old 09-13-2009, 07:41 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Double check to make sure that the solenoid is fully installed and that you have the bracket facing the correct way. The brake valve might not be in a position that the trans is happy about.

Sounds like the leak you have might be that you over tightened the pan or your pan is not flat. Vince B
Old 09-13-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

its a deep thick alum pan, also i did tighten the pan bolts to your recommendation in my other post. may have just been a defect in the gasket, ill give it another go this week. just cant do anything until payday.

hoping something simple happened, and i didnt damage anything. i guess ill notice when i pull the pan again. is there a Specific position the solenoid needs to be in? it seems like it was a simple pop out and pop back in kinda thing? and when engages it did "bottom" the plunger out and then opened back up properly. the bracket is the right way...i never removed it from the cable. just unbolted it and moved it off to the side while it was still attached to the shifter arm of the trans.

Last edited by Raven02TA; 09-13-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:18 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven02TA
the bracket is the right way...i never removed it from the cable. just unbolted it and moved it off to the side while it was still attached to the shifter arm of the trans.
You lost me here. You said you were replacing the oring on the brake solenoid. What does the shifter arm have to do with the solenoid. Most solenoids are in the modulator circuit. Not sure what you are working with here. Vince B

Here are a couple pictures. Maybe this will help us here.

The next one has a picture of a brake solenoid.

Last edited by FLT; 09-13-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
You lost me here. You said you were replacing the oring on the brake solenoid. What does the shifter arm have to do with the solenoid. Most solenoids are in the modulator circuit. Not sure what you are working with here. Vince B

Here are a couple pictures. Maybe this will help us here.
it doesnt, i was only stating that when i disconnected the shifter linkage (the bracket from the side of the pan) that i simply moved it off to the side without actually disconnecting it from the trans itself (shift linkage arm). (because i at first thought i may have re-installed that improperly causing the shifts to be off)

as far as the actual solenoid. to my knowledge i re-installed it properly. if its locking things up in third gear. why would it only do it there and not also first and second? same with the bracket holding the solenoid in place. i made sure the "knurls" on the end of the bracket are facing the trans. i wish i could take some pics to show you everything but my car is about 20 miles away.

thanks again for your help!