Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny dipstick.... so stupid

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 03:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny dipstick.... so stupid

I made the mistake of bolting up the tranny and the motor and everything, putting on the intake, and fuel lines and all the wiring before putting in the Tranny dipstick. I cannot for the life of me fit that F-in tube back in the hole, even with the tranny on the jack and the motor bolts loose to change the angle of the motor giving me more clearence from the firewall. Does anyone have any advice for getting it in OR is there some sort of conversion kit, with a flexable tube for sale???

Any help would be great...
Old 09-17-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes that tube sucks getting in especially with the trans bolted to the engine. i wanted to kill that tube the 6 times i had to install it. lol The best way is to do it before anything gets bolted up like you realize now . It is possible to get it in with it bolted to the engine, its hard but not impossible.

What i did was take a 3/4in open end wrench and hold it above the flare on the tube and then tap the wrench with a hammer to seat the tube. lube it up first helps. it is a PITA to do and takes some patience.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:58 PM
9 Second Club

is it possible that a 97' because its an LT-1 and a slightly different body style is a little different than my ls1 style. With the wiring harness and everything and the clearence to the firewall Im dyin. They even have a part where the tube is bent in to almost 1 cm thick to clearence between the motor(or bellhousing) and firewall.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

Originally Posted by Dragkid1917
I made the mistake of bolting up the tranny and the motor and everything, putting on the intake, and fuel lines and all the wiring before putting in the Tranny dipstick. I cannot for the life of me fit that F-in tube back in the hole, even with the tranny on the jack and the motor bolts loose to change the angle of the motor giving me more clearence from the firewall. Does anyone have any advice for getting it in OR is there some sort of conversion kit, with a flexable tube for sale???

Any help would be great...
you could try a 36inch lokar.it will go in with motor and trans installed.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

getting the stock one is a bitch but like the other poster said, its not impossible.
edit: i just did this on a 96 LT1 Z a few weeks ago. took about 10 mins but i got it.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

just did it last nite! Wedge a 2/3 ft. prybar inbetween the stick and trans and pry up! worked great!
Old 09-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I never disconnected that line when I took out the transmission. And just positioned it when mounting the transmission back on. Was fairly easy for me
Old 09-18-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Have you tried putting it in from the bottom?
Old 09-18-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had to take the intake manifold and the oil pressure sending unit... i ended up kinking mine and had to beat it out... then it wouldnt bolt up... i had to put it in sideways, like the end closest to u is on the driverside... if that makes sense... i ended up working on it for three weekends... most frustrating thing ever... prlly the hardest part yet on my swap hahha.. whats a bitch is when u get it in and the bracket is no where near a hole to bolt into....
Old 09-18-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I always put that in before I bolt the tranny crossmember back up and have never had a problem. Worse case just drop your driveshaft and lower the tranny down.