Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vigilante converter mounting issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vigilante converter mounting issues

this damn converter is pissing me off...... i have installed a dozen converters and never had this issue..... are vig specs that damn tight..... when i first put it on my th350..... i had to use a big rubber malet to get it to go on..... blew that trans up........ tried to install it on my new th400 tonight..... same flippin thing...... cant get it to go on..... after 20 minutes i said screw it and locked up my garage..... anyone else have this issue and or have a method to make this easier....???? i even stood it up on its tail shaft and tried to work it in..... no luck
Old 09-22-2009, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

You're absolutely right but that's what has to be done. I've put 3 Vigilantes in my TH350 and one in a 4L60E. You just need a lot of patience. Get into as comfortable position as possible. Since I'm right handed, I used my left hand to sloooowly rotate the TC while my right hand 'firmly' (but not more than that) popped on the face of the TC with a rubber mallet. Like you said, after what seems like forever, It 'clunked' in.
Keep trying chief!
Could you PM me on where you got that Vigi and how much you paid? I'm trying to get another one for my Turbo Z28(LT1).
Thanks,
Dave
Originally Posted by flyinbluess
this damn converter is pissing me off...... i have installed a dozen converters and never had this issue..... are vig specs that damn tight..... when i first put it on my th350..... i had to use a big rubber malet to get it to go on..... blew that trans up........ tried to install it on my new th400 tonight..... same flippin thing...... cant get it to go on..... after 20 minutes i said screw it and locked up my garage..... anyone else have this issue and or have a method to make this easier....???? i even stood it up on its tail shaft and tried to work it in..... no luck
Old 09-23-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both my Vigilante and my Yank were like this with 2 different transmissions. The only way I could install either was to stand the trans up on the tailshaft and rotate, gently push, and wiggle the converter until it seated.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hammers, rubber or not, are a NO-NO!! You can collaps the built in tollerances the factory builds into them, and also brinelling the Torrington Bearings from the beating.. Try taking a small file and carefully take the sharp edges and casting from the input shaft and stator shaft, first down the splines-then around the outsides. I don't mean to make it loose. Just enough. Retest often-after cleaning. We do this procedure before the trans is assembled as not to get fine metal in the trans upon start-up. Performance converters are always built with tight tollerances because they are expected to be thrashed, so to speak.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

A buddy of mine had the same problem with his Vig. Put it in and it was too tight and took out the front pump and bushing of the trans. Sent it back to get fixed. He still has not used it since. I think their tolerances are very tight compared to other companys from what I hear. I have a Yank and all is well!