Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can it be done? And can I get some guidence?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:30 PM

Location: Norfolk, Virginia but born and raised in Portland, Oregon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can it be done? And can I get some guidence?

soooo I am the proud owner of a 2001 pontiac trans am with the LS1 and the 4l60e POS transmission that took a dump on me. I am not rich, i would like to attempt to rebuild it myself but have really no idea how, and was wondering if anyone could gimme a step by step on what to do. Pulling it out and putting it back in will be easy so that can be skipped.

ALSO I would like to know what i would need to do(IN ORDER) to just slap a turbo 350 or a turbo 400 transmission into it. Im sick of my car being dead.

Some background as to what is wrong with my car:

I got the dreaded 3/4 gear slip. It started small while on a trip back home from the track, and by the time i got home 2nd was completly gone and it hardly holds in 3rd, I mean I gotta feather the damm gas to keep it from slippin. I know, its rebuild time. For giggles I decided to replace the 1/2 and 3/4 shift solinoids along with the filter and to my expectations it did not change a thing.

So please, need some help.

I'm poor, and i miss my baby. I got a budget of about 600
Old 09-22-2009, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, I'd hold out and save for a sponsor to build you one. What with the special tools, exact tolerances and the number of parts that come out of the tranny, I think you might be opening yourself to a huge headache. I personally would never attempt that one, but kudos to you if you press on with it. It'd be a hell of a project and a great learning opportunity. It would just suck to spend the money and time and have it act up or not work at all. Good luck either way!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Find sombody local that will just fix what is wrong with it.I did that 3 years ago with mine.Rear end broke on me at the track and also took out the planetary in the trans.Found a local trans shop and he fixed what was broke and then had him replace the bands and clutchs with better ALT REDS.total cost 350$
Old 09-22-2009, 08:05 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to Orielly's, murray's, az, or your parts hole of choice and ask for a haynes trans repair manual. It'll tell you what tools, and specs for any gm rwd trans, as well as step by step instructions on tear down and rebuild. If you do everything yourself and you can find all the parts you need you can do it yourself for $600 no problem.....but beware it's really not that easy........
Old 09-23-2009, 07:04 AM

Alright, so my best bet is to pull it out myself and run it to a shop eh? That wont be a problem, i just hope its nothing to costly. My assumption is most of the money goes to pulling the tranny out and putting it back in and hooking it all up at a shop?

Thanks for the input, I have been doing some research and between having a pregnant wife and living in an apartment complex, I can think of more than one person who would be mad at me if i decided to spend a bunch of time to try and rebuild it myself. So it looks like I pull it, find a shop and get it rebuilt.

As far as putting a turbo 350 or 400 in though, what would that consist of? I know there will be an electronics issue when it comes to the ECU and the transmission seeing how my transmission has it's own wiring harness inside of the tranny pan. But I am thinking of gradually turning the car into a track car, and would like to get something set up that if it goes out again, it will be quick and fairly cheap to fix next time. I grew up with a 71 camaro and i ripped through about 4 transmissions in that thing in three months so i got it down to a science on removing and replacing. The electronics is what scares me about the whole swap idea. My friend made a mistake while converting his mazda from auto to manual and he ended up having to rip his dash apart and get a whole new wiring harness, so thats something I would like to avoid.

Sorry I ramble so much....
Old 09-24-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah knowing how it felt when i was in an apartment , best bet will be to take it to get rebuilt. As far as the th350 swap if you get one with a short tailhousing then you will have to get your driveshaft legnthened, so get one with a long tailhousing, then you will have to get the tourqe arm relocation swap bracket and an electronic speedo converter. And if you do go that route and will be beating it up at the track then might as well and get a th400 allot stronger than both the 4l60e and the th350. Hope that helps.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:45 AM

It does help, thank you . Im going to start making a part list and slowly just put a th400 in it. As of right now it will prolly take me about six months to get all the parts and do a complete swap.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you swap in a tranny that doesn't have a VSS you can use one of the ABS sensors on the front wheels to control your speedo. Right now I can't remember how you get the speedo dialed in after that tho.

All the info for a TH swap is in a sticky in here tho.