Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

th400 problem, need help fast please

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default th400 problem, need help fast please

ok so i just did a new build on the car and installed a th400 built by tci that i bought locally from someone selling it.
i finally got around to hooking up the shifter and something doesn't seem right.
so i take it out for a test drive...
thing thats wierd is that this is the gear sequence
park
neutral
reverse
neutral
first
second
no third...
so i wake up this morning and decide to adjust the shifter cable.
so i do that and everything seems to be good except for the fact that i have to shifter my shifter twice to get it to second gear...
and after a few minutes of driving the tranny makes almost a grinding sound for almost 2 seconds and then its back to normal...
does this randomly when i put it in reverse and third sometimes....
btw shifter is a b&m pro rachet shifter...
tranny is a rmvb th400
anyone have any ideas or experience with this?
need help fast please....
this is driving me crazy.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:17 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Are you using a shifter made for a th400 RMVB? Many shifters require a different "plate" for the different shifting pattern compared to a regular shift pattern transmission.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes on the box it states its for a th400... i mean everything shifts fine. i believe i can fix the 2nd by adjusting the cable, trial and error. but its the sound im questioning and thats driving me nuts lol
Old 09-24-2009, 01:42 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by pozesd99'
yes on the box it states its for a th400... i mean everything shifts fine. i believe i can fix the 2nd by adjusting the cable, trial and error. but its the sound im questioning and thats driving me nuts lol
I'm not super familiar with ratchet shifters because they drive me nuts but there is a difference between a standard TH400 and a RMVB TH400 and I would guess that there is a different shifting pattern for the ratcheting mechanism. Not sure if that would be affecting it being fully in gear on the shift or not. I know if a shifter is misadjusted it can cause issues similar to what you are having as well.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

heres your problem-the B&M rachet shifter makes 2 moves of the stick from park to rev-its this way because its a univ. shifter, and i believe when used on a mopar it works normal
so, if your in park, rachet it twice, now your in rev, then neu, 1,2,3
doesnt matter if rev pattern or not-it has to have a pin in it if used for a 3 sp(that way from fact.), pin rem if 4 spd-also very imporant, is how the shifter cable is hooked to the shifter itself-the bracket can go outside/inside the frame-as i remember the proper location is the piece on the cable that bolts to the shifter goes on the outside, but i would have to ck the instructions-if its installed the other way, it will never work right
READ the instructions, front to back-i have installed a bunch of them, they gotta be right-i even switched one to 4 sp when i installed the 4l80e, works perfect-best shifter on the market
place the shifter in park, adj the cable-move it to first, should be real close, tweak if needed
also, when going from rev to park, 2 clicks, just like coming from park to rev
Old 09-24-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

so i put a little more fluid in and it does still make the sound but much less