Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dont know what to do

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dont know what to do

i have a 96 trams am lt1 with a 4L60E automatic tranny (87k). engine runs beautifully but trans is prob crap. follow me on this bc its hard to explain. from a dead stop (1st gear) it takes off fine no problems, it shifts into second no problem when it goes to shift into third it revs out and doesnt shift. its as if it is in neutral. when i punch it out when it slips it almost redlines and then it shifts. but after it shifts if i let off the gas and let the rpms settle n then give it gas the gear wont catch until 3000 rpm but after it catches it has constant power but it wont shift into fourth. it redlines at about 5500 at 70mph but and wont shift. if i maually shift it first works fine secone works fine and if i put in in third it wont catch at all at full range of the rpms. my mechanic buddies are telling me to drop the pan and clean the hell out of the pan and whatever i can get to in the tranny. then change the filter, fluid and add castral never slip then drive it around for a day and then change everything again and that might fix it. i also have the same tranny from a 95 v6 firebird. i know it will built up to the 96 lt1 but i dnt know what else i would need bc of the transition form OBDI to OBDII. HHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!! !
Old 09-25-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds like 3/4 clutch failure.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

You have a 3-4 clucth failure and a service would be a waste of time and money and of note the v6 unit will not bolt to the lt-1 the bell pattern , pump stator, converter and case are different .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-02-2009, 01:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why friends are not experts. Seal All, Never Slip, etc. should be outlawed. It is a waste of time and $$. If a part fails in the trans it must be replaced. Magic formulas don't replace friction material on bands and clutches. Everyone is right: your 3-4 frictions and probably your 2-4 band are bad. The trans must be repaired. Good Luck.