Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yank PY3600 or SS3600?

Old 09-29-2009, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Yank PY3600 or SS3600?

I am going to be buying a stall in the very near future from the classifieds here and am trying to decide between the 2.

I know the PY is made for nitrous and forced induction so it should be tighter. Would there be any serious downside to using it NA? I'm wondering if I might enjoy the street manners more due to it being tight. It also strikes me that this one would be more durable for track use.

I'm just really hesitant about how much I would like the SS3600 as I've never had a stalled car but I do know for sure I don't want to slaughter my in town driveability. I do lots of driving outside the range of lockup. I've only ridden in a car with a vig4000 and while I liked the acceleration, the slipping feeling and sound at light trottle made me cringe a little when thinkng about my car being that way.

All opinions welcome even though I have a good feeling what the consensus will be.

Thanks!

I would call Yank but I work all day and on top of that don't want to waste their time since I will be buying used and likely having the converter checked out, I simply cannot afford to drop $700+ on one
Old 09-29-2009, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the TCI SSF 3500.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:32 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I am going to be buying a stall in the very near future from the classifieds here and am trying to decide between the 2.

I know the PY is made for nitrous and forced induction so it should be tighter. Would there be any serious downside to using it NA? I'm wondering if I might enjoy the street manners more due to it being tight. It also strikes me that this one would be more durable for track use.

I'm just really hesitant about how much I would like the SS3600 as I've never had a stalled car but I do know for sure I don't want to slaughter my in town driveability. I do lots of driving outside the range of lockup. I've only ridden in a car with a vig4000 and while I liked the acceleration, the slipping feeling and sound at light trottle made me cringe a little when thinkng about my car being that way.

All opinions welcome even though I have a good feeling what the consensus will be.

Thanks!

I would call Yank but I work all day and on top of that don't want to waste their time since I will be buying used and likely having the converter checked out, I simply cannot afford to drop $700+ on one

Call us anytime we would like to discuss this.
Dave 775 826 9955
Old 09-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Dave at yank has the best customer service out there id say he has my converter rite now rebuilding it for me cuz i lost a trans in the big heavy goat.i have the yank ss 4000 in my car and i loved it
Old 09-30-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really like my SS3600 and am going to have it restalled to 4K. I believe Dave said that in my case (HP) the converter could hold a 200 shot before thinking about a nitrous converter. Like he said, give him a call. If your not spraying I think the PY might be a bad choice.
Don't forget that Vig. under rates their converter. I could see where you thought the Vig. 4000 was a bit much. I owned a Vig. 2800 and it was more like a 3000-3200 stall.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I simply cannot afford to drop $700+ on one
First, all stalled autos with a 3K+ converter are gonna flare up off the line. Its the nature of the beast. You have to give up something to gain performance. Maybe a 2800-3200 would be better suited for you. Also, good luck finding a Yank for cheap, those converters really hold their value on the used market.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

Thanks!

i have yank ss3600.i also run nitrious.with ss3600 i can pull the front tires off the ground leaveing off the foot brake with a 1.40 60ft.yank #1
Old 09-30-2009, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

I'm gonna give Dave a call it looks like.

As far as price these converters have been showing up on this site for around $500 with low miles.

I realize any decent converter is going to show itself some over stock I was just curious as to which would make its presence less known under very light throttle stop light to stop light and going up hills in 35mph zones.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Just put my refreshed verter from yank back in the other day.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:08 PM
11 Second Club

The PY is going to be really tight for a NA combo. Many have run them NA and most haven't been thrilled with them. Behind FI or nitrous, they're awesome. I think the SS3600 is the no-brainer here. Trust me, it won't be too much for the street. It will take some getting used to, but that's true with any converter. You won't give up any driveability, but you'll see huge performance gains.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for the replies

after a lot of thought about the difference between a 3600 and 4000, plus the fact this isn't the first time I've heard someone say the Vig are underrated, along with the fact if need be I have a 92 chevy v6 truck I could drive more often and just make my car a little more of a weekend/nice day car...then again I might not be bothered driving it all the time anyway

something tells me I'm going to be glad this site convinced me to go 3600 instead of 28-3200 the first time I hit the track with it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yank PY3600 or SS3600?