Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody blow the servo outside the tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody blow the servo outside the tranny?

I shifted manually into D then into 2nd waiting on the rpms to drop. I got on it a little when in 2nd gear and then shifted back up to overdrive but it hesitated going into overdrive. After that I smelled tranny fluid and seen the smoke coming from underneath the hood. I pulled over and jacked the car up and sure enough it blew the servo out and leaked fluid everywhere. It started leaking when I threw it down it 2nd gear. Anyways what I am asking has this happened to anybody and how easy is it to fix?
Old 10-09-2009, 07:52 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you recently installed a servo, shift kit or rebuilt it is possible that the snap ring was not fully seated. There is a possibility there were debris in the bore that were not cleaned properly where the snap ring goes.. I have seen it happen many times in my years and if your lucky it did not break the case. Vince Bielanski
Old 10-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This can also happen if the line pressure spikes to over 400psi. I really don't know why this happens other than the boost valve assembly sticking or possibly a sticking actuator valve. Like Vince stated, you're fortunate that the case isn't broken.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine just did this, guessing same thing that snap-ring popped out....but mine did take the case out with it. snapped the case off right where the snap ring goes.

it all happened very quickly
Old 10-11-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. Yes just found out that my case did bust and now will be buying a new one. However dont have money right now so will have to wait awhile. Thanks!