Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 to TH400 in 04 GTO

Old 10-15-2009, 05:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 to TH400 in 04 GTO

Hi guys,

Im doing a turbo 400 conversion(along with a 383 stroker) into an australian caprice which happens to be the top of the range four door version of the GTO you guys have in the states. I have found heaps of info on this great site to help me most off the way through the conversion. To the people that have posted info on here i thank you very much as the time and effort you have saved me is unbeleivable.

One thing i am stuck with is wiring up the reverse lights and the neutral/park safety switch for starting. I am running a hurst pistol grip quater stick style shifter and it has the provisions both with the two micro switch's(if thats what they are called) on shifter, one for reverse lights one for start switch. I have read a couple of thread were they discribe how to wire up from a 6 speed manual to a th400 but cannot find any info to modify the wiring that was previously wired to the black box style mechanism on the shifter shaft of the A4 to suit a hurst style shifter.

From what i can gather i need to work out which four wires to modify and fit to shifter. Has anyone done this and do they know which wires i need to do this to make lights and shifter work and is there any pictures available to view. I have searched for hours but have found nothing that helps for the auto wiring loom.

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the long post.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i found a way around this situation and thought i would post it up for future reference for anyone else needing this info.

The black coloured box style contraption(i dont know the correct name for it) tha bolts to the side of you a4 trans can be retained and used if you replace the standard turbo400 gear selector shaft that go's into the gearbox with a gear selector shaft from a 4l80 trans. All you have to do is fabricate some mounting pointss for the black box to bolt to the th400, pretty simple and no wiring dramas at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A4 to TH400 in 04 GTO