Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a Vigilante TC the easy way.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Installing a Vigilante TC the easy way.

I've installed a Vigilante in a 4L60E LS1 Fbody after pulling the tranny and just leaving the tranny horizontal on the shop floor. Very frustrating because it just did NOT want to go on. This is because Vigilantes are manufactured to very tight tolerances.

Then I got a TH350 and purchased a vigilante 2800. I had the same experience. I even sent that one BACK to Precision Industries, telling them they sent me the wrong one because it absolutely wouldn't go on. They checked it out and sent it back saying it was the correct model for my tranny. (I'd marked it so I'd know if they switched it. It came back with the same mark). I spent another lengthy time trying but it finally went on.

Fast forward to yesterday when I was installing yet another new Vigilante (I went back to the T56 in 2003, but recently decided to go back to a TH350). The instructions with the TC said to stand it on it's tail shaft end and install it. I strapped the TH350 to a wooden pallet, stood it up and, after putting a quart of Tranny fluid in the TC, I dropped it down on the splined input shaft and after just a minute, 'clunk', it went on.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

instructions i never read them untill i break it
Old 11-04-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

They are a lot harder to do with the tranny laying flat. I switched gears on mine then tried it again and that allowed it to engage. I believe I went from park to neutral back to park and I was able to get it to fully seat.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Hehehe... That's the way all of us guys do it I think. Lessons burned into our memories that way.

Originally Posted by mknight759
instructions i never read them untill i break it