Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6l80 clarification

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6l80 clarification

i feel this has been beat to death aswell. but i had a few questions still unaswered. so if i go with a 6l80e what options do i have to ***** it? also since im shifting it does it need to comunicate with the computer still??
Old 11-09-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shaolink9
i feel this has been beat to death aswell. but i had a few questions still unaswered. so if i go with a 6l80e what options do i have to ***** it? also since im shifting it does it need to comunicate with the computer still??
The only way to make these trans work so far is with the Gen IV motors. They need a 58x crank trigger and the Gen IV ECM to talk to the TCM inside the transmissions.

No one makes a standalone kit. I called TCI and they said no and couldn't give me an ETA on one.

I plan on talking a Gen III 5.3L and making it a Gen IV by adding the 58x crank trigger, side mount knock sensors, front mounted cam sensor, and Gen IV wiring/ ECM. To run a 6l80, since I already have a 5.3l that I have to rebuild anyway. But that should work.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

1st on clarification. There is and aftermarket ECM that can comunicate with the 6L80. Check with MAST motorsports on that. They also have a nice set of gages that are set up to use info from their ECM. There is a long running thread on thier 6L80 build in Hybrid build section. Not sure what shift program they are using an if they support TU/TD shifting.

You might want to do a search on 6L80 in Hybrid section. You will find the best info on this trans there. For all around installation info, best one is 69 Camaro build. I've found it has help me the most.

As for how you can shift it, you can modify any GM tiptronic shifter to TU/TD shift it if you download the Corvette shift program into it's internal controller. If you use standard program, you will need to wire in a body control module to do that. If you don't care about TU/TD shifting you can adapt any standard shifter that has same PRND detents as the 6L80 uses. Paddle shifting is possible but like the TU/TD modification shifting you will need to make your own wire harness and switch setup to do it, and use the Vette download.

At this time I'm using a modified G8 shifter and Corvette shift program on my build. I hope to add Paddle shifting capability at a later date.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

The big question is what motor are you putting on behind?
Old 11-10-2009, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bo185
The big question is what motor are you putting on behind?
I have a VW TDI too.

Should your question be "What motor are you putting it behind."

In my case, I rolled the dice and put it behind a crate LS7.

Will the 80 be able to hold up to it's HP and TQ if I can get it to hook up?

Don't know awnser to that, but I'm hoping the car comes in at a weight somewhere between 2750-2900 lb and along with using 3.07 ratio rear end, help it handle the LS7's HP/TQ VS Vettes 3300 lbs, 2.56 or 2.76 ratio rear ends and 430HP LS3.

Its up to us to identify the 6L80/90 weaknesses so the aftermarket can come up with parts/modification to fix their weak spots.

You have to remember when any automatic trans first came out, they could not handle anywhere near the HP&TQ they are bolted behind today.

We put them behind more HP&TQ than they could handle an identified the weaknesses. Then Trans builders and Parts vendors worked together to come up with parts and modifcations to get them to hold up to more and more HP&TQ. Case in point, the 4L60/65 and 4L80.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by poorhousenext
I have a VW TDI too.
I just got 791 miles out of a tank! It calc. to be 53MPG! Its my DD.

Should your question be "What motor are you putting it behind."
Yeah typed it to fast. haha and was asking the OP. To see what he had.

But poorhousenext what ECM did you go with? The mast or GM E38/E67?

In my case, I rolled the dice and put it behind a crate LS7.

Will the 80 be able to hold up to it's HP and TQ if I can get it to hook up?

Don't know awnser to that, but I'm hoping the car comes in at a weight somewhere between 2750-2900 lb and along with using 3.07 ratio rear end, help it handle the LS7's HP/TQ VS Vettes 3300 lbs, 2.56 or 2.76 ratio rear ends and 430HP LS3.

Its up to us to identify the 6L80/90 weaknesses so the aftermarket can come up with parts/modification to fix their weak spots.

You have to remember when any automatic trans first came out, they could not handle anywhere near the HP&TQ they are bolted behind today.

We put them behind more HP&TQ than they could handle an identified the weaknesses. Then Trans builders and Parts vendors worked together to come up with parts and modifcations to get them to hold up to more and more HP&TQ. Case in point, the 4L60/65 and 4L80.
I don't think you'll have a problem with it. With that light of a weight. The trucks are running 5k#'s plus weight and 400hp with the 6.2l's. They seem to be holding up.

But it would be interesting to see the MPG with that weight, HP, and gears.

Last edited by Bo185; 11-10-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:15 AM
11 Second Club

I just got 791 miles out of a tank! It calc. to be 53MPG! Its my DD.

Yeah typed it to fast. haha and was asking the OP. To see what he what he had.

But poorhousenext what ECM did you go with? The mast or GM E38/E67?

I don't think you'll have a problem with it. With that light of a weight. The trucks are running 5k#'s plus weight and 400hp with the 6.2l's. They seem to be holding up.

But it would be interesting to see the MPG with that weight, HP, and gears.
Best my 2006 DSG PD TDI has done is 50.3 80 % HWY at 65 MPH, 20% city at legal limits. Rare for me to drive at my Blue Hair speed... It just rolled over 90,000 miles. I can knock 7 MPG off that when I drive my normal Interstate 80+ MPH speeds.

ECM is what LS7 uses, what ever number that is...LOL Just had it supplied with vette shift program installed with wireing harness from Speartech.

Don't forget that C2/66 Vettes do not have good aerodynamics like C6 vette, so C.of.D. is not much better than 4" x 8' sheet of plywood in a huricane.

People seem to forget about how much C.of.D effects gas mileage. I'm hoping the 3.07 will help lessen the amount of pedal needed in 6th gear, and for that matter all gears in keeping engine from having to work as hard. 4.06 1st gear should get the mass moving with very little peddle, while 6th gear at 70 mph will have the engine spinning at around 1885 RPM with 245/45/17 tires.

Will be interesting to compare mileage betteen the 66 vert LS7/A6 3.07 gear and 64 Vette coupe build with LS3 480HP/A4 with 3.54 gear that goes back in work on Nov 15. It will be turning around 2150 RPM at 70 MPH.

This has been way So time to let OP have this hijacked thread back.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

i dont mind highjacked threads i do it all the time lol .I dont know yet I do know that im kinda over the 4l60e and I like being different and its not my DD so i figured ill got for it. ill probaly end up with and ls2 build or maybe l92 idk yet i shuld byt the end of the week.

HEy poorhouse.. the triptronic thing sounds like a good idea can you elaborate a little. Also I used to own a 1986 camaro "iroc clone". And Put a 4th gen everything in it lol my question is what do you thing about ripping out all the wiring and putting in the wiring from a c6 and ussing all the c6 features even the gauges and stuff??
Old 11-11-2009, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

i dont mind highjacked threads i do it all the time lol .I dont know yet I do know that im kinda over the 4l60e and I like being different and its not my DD so i figured ill got for it. ill probaly end up with and ls2 build or maybe l92 idk yet i shuld byt the end of the week.

HEy poorhouse.. the triptronic thing sounds like a good idea can you elaborate a little. Also I used to own a 1986 camaro "iroc clone". And Put a 4th gen everything in it lol my question is what do you thing about ripping out all the wiring and putting in the wiring from a c6 and ussing all the c6 features even the gauges and stuff??
I have seen Triptronic type shifting done with just a 2 position momentary switch not even mounted...lol

Only way to do it that I know of with a shifter is to use GM shiftesr like ones in pics below that have Tiptronic position built into it. You still have to add your own switches and make a wire harness to connect them.

Caddy A5 shifter

Caddy

G8 Pontiac A6 shifter

Now if you only want to TU/TD shift & Sportmode, rather than use C6 Vette, I would try and find a G8 Pontiac doner car to strip components from. With it's Body Control Module you could have Cruise Control and all associated features it controls via ECM and TCM.

A member here is doing just that with his 67 Chevelle Pro Touring wagon build. Most of his thread at this time is about bodywork, but I know he did a lot of research on which was best way for him to go.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...0-project.html

Good Info 6L80/90 thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...o-does-go.html
Old 11-11-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

i wanna use the f1 paddles though so i was looking at 2007 stering column
Old 11-11-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would do the L92 and talk to Mast as they have some nasty VVT cams! And can do the tuning as well. http://ad.doubleclick.net/click%3Bh=...otorsports.com

I thought about just using some type of switch on mine vs a shifter. Cause I want to retain a bench seat and don't want a console. My thoughts were just to mount it on the steering wheel and have it at my fingertips.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

i wanna use the f1 paddles though so i was looking at 2007 stering column
It's possible and probably lot easier to use one of the aftermarket Vendors paddles and make up your on RF switch and wire harness.

I found a Vendor at SEMA show that seem to be willing to convert his paddles from battery powered to horn power and make up switch and wire harness assembly to use with their paddles for people who want a 6L paddle shift conversion. It could be used with most any 5 or 6 bolt steering wheel.

He also thought he could make a 1-6 selected gear display so you knew for sure which gear your in. I know that can be done as long as you only paddle shift thru gears, but without being able to read the gear codes PIDS from the internal TCM, I'm not sure if that is possible if you go from Drive to paddle mode while driving.

Need to contact him and see if he's willing to do it and at what price. Heck, they sell a paddle shift setup for 6 speed Vette manual trans...LOL
Old 11-12-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats true you never would know what gear you were in while shifting it yourself. I wonder if you could use a scangauge II or simalar and it would have the indications in it. That you be cheap and easy.

But a small display would be nice. What vendor?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Thats true you never would know what gear you were in while shifting it yourself. I wonder if you could use a scangauge II or simalar and it would have the indications in it. That you be cheap and easy.

But a small display would be nice. What vendor?
Don't know about using ScanGage, but DashDAQ can do it. You have to buy the Licensed GM Enhanced Drivers to get the PID codes.

I had plans to mount mine in Dash, but vette's dash was not wide enough where I had open space to do it. I would have had to dump the Clock. Found out a little to late to do that.

Could have had GPS, full diganostic and any info either ECM or Trans Module supplied displayed, plus a lot more.

Member here who has the 6L90 installed in 69 camaro used his for all his gages for a while. There is a picture posted on his build thread showing that it could display selected gear.

I don't want to give out Vendor's name until I know he is willing to do it and it works.

I can tell you this, Person in TCI booth explaining their 6 speed auto would not even discuss it. He had little good to say about 6L80/90s. Another thing with them is they didn't even bother to bring their paddle shifter to display. I would have liked to have seen one in person.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Discuss the 6l80/90? I called them and asked about a standalone system and they sad nope and no ETA on one either. Guess they are having problems with the software.

And the paddle shifters for there 6sp (modified 4l80)?

I
Old 11-14-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

i heard throught the grape vine that a controller does exist and that its made by Gm but ive had no luck finding it ,:-( o well so im thinig aybe a 4l80 wit baddle shift and gear vendor.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

i heard thought the grape vine that a controller does exist and that its made by Gm but ive had no luck finding it ,:-( o well so im thinig aybe a 4l80 wit baddle shift and gear vendor.
I think there maybe something as far as a standalone from GM itself. For 2010 you can get a 6.6L D-max in a fullsize van with a 6l90. http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powe...10truck_us.htm Bottom of page

So it must have some type standalone system for the LMM D-max. If you knew some one at a dealer that could look at a wiring diagram might show how it works with the diesel.

Quick Reply: 6l80 clarification