Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions regarding removing the bellhousing bolts

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions regarding removing the bellhousing bolts

Pulling the engine through the top. Only thing I have left to do is remove these bolts, and the motor mount bolts. Do I have to remove anything else, like the deep trans pan, to get all the bolts out? When I support the trans with a jack will it be in my way? And what's the trick to the top bolts (besides 2' ext & swivel), get them from the back of the car or can I get them from behind the motor with the intake out? Thanks.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

guess that was a stupid question
Old 11-16-2009, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got the top bolts from the top but my heads and intake were off.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went to autozone and got the 5-finger discount on the extensions and swivel and it made removing the bellhousing bolts so easy
Old 04-25-2010, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

so I haven't touched my car in awhile, mainly because I got so pissed that I didn't have any room to get to the top 3 or 4 bolts, and now I'm back at it again. any ideas?? I wonder if I undone the motor mount bolts and dropped the transmission brace, that I could take the engine picker and pick up on the front of the engine and maybe that would drop the back of the transmission some (enough to have room to get a socket on straight to those top few bolts)? I don't know how you guys are making this so easy, there's like little to no f&*UU* room up there, especially getting a 3/8" swivel between a bolt and the floorboard. all I know is on the 10 o'clock bolt I've already broke 1 socket and 1 swivel. I didn't have a problem with my 6 speed cars in the past.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the post. I was only going to lift on the front of the engine, hoping that would help drop the back of the trans.

as for the motor mount bolts, I have the bmr k member and decided it'd be easiest to pull the one big bolt that holds the motor mounts to the k member & let the motor mounts go with the engine, rather than removing the bolts that hold the motor mounts to the engine. However I can't seem to get those out since I think I've ran out of thread. Reason for leaving the motor mounts is because I didn't get the mount-to-engine nuts loosened up even with enough torque that slid ME around the floor (I weigh 185lbs, already broke one swivel).

the exhaust... I have the Kooks 1-7/8" headers and some d-bag decided to weld those headers to the y pipe, and it's pretty much welded all the way back. in order for me to remove it I'll probably have to cut it up. so I just let the headers hang to the side of the engine, now I just can't get the passenger side spark plugs out because the headers are in the way.

this is a never ending deal, frustrating the hell out of me

Last edited by candlelit; 04-27-2010 at 09:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Questions regarding removing the bellhousing bolts