Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

t56 to 4l80 swap ,shiftlock question.wiring experts please come in..

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default t56 to 4l80 swap ,shiftlock question.wiring experts please come in..

Ok go neutral safety working. Got reverse lights working.
That leaves two pins on the shifter switch that has six pins.
Got a shift lock solenoid.
My car is not a 4l60 harness swap but is a lsxtune harness swap.

So here is how trying to hook up shiflock. There is orange black wire that goes to ecu from the six pin connector b. I ran it to pin 34 on computer it was empty since car is six speed. It says its for pnp in the pin guide.
I ran wire from shift solenoid to brake ,pinned that in the lower switch the one with two wires on the m6 and 4 wires on the a4. Ran wire from shft lock solenoid to a black and white connector a on the six wire switch.
So would think this should work. But didn't and it was getting cold and dark and were working on the car outside so shut it down today.
I am wondering if this way of wiring should work.
I realized and not sure it matters but don't think cruise is working as have to do something with the clutch cruise to make the cruise work. Maybe that is stopping the shiflock from working as well. Will try that idea tommorrow and
will maybe change where put the green white wire to the brake 4 wire connector it can go in one of two positions.
Have test light and this looks simpel enough. There is also possibilty the pins we put into ecu were a bit short ,we got them out of salvaged gm wiring from another fbody. So might have to take them out again and put in proper gm ecu pins. They look identical but are bit shorter pins.

I am trying to get the shiflock and then parkcable lock to work just like a factory auto car.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok bit more experimentation.
I have green and white wire from shift lock solenoid and ran it to brake cruise control switch.
To test solenoid operation just grounded the other wire coming out of shift solenoid. I got the shift solenoid connection from donor harness just cut it off.

With just the green wire in the cruise control switch had no power to the solenoid.
So rigged up a pink wire since auto uses a pink power wire that goes into the brake switch on the auto. Remember didn't use auto 4l60 harness and then 4l60 to 4l80 conversion harness just used lsxtunes harness direct for t 56 to 4l80.

Ok so once give wire to the cruise connector on brake pedal then the shift solenoid works fine.
We then tried hooked brown? wire on solenoid to black and white on pnp switch on shifter. And already ran a wire from orange white on the pnp switch to the pin 34 on ecu.That pin says pnp switch in pin code chart. But when we do this shiftlock don't work.
Now we may have problem with pin to the ecu it was shorter one we scammed off other car harness. We thought it would make contact anyway.

But question. Do I even need to use those top two A and B on the pnp switch with the black and white wire going to think solenoid as think a ground and the b conector on pnp going to ecu if can just make this work by simply running green white to cruise and pink into there for power and just groundinng the shiftlock solenoid.
And do I need to use think that relay that was in the auto harness.

Hoping one of you smart guys will hook up shiftlock with lsxtune harness and a 4l80. Also might be same with 4l60 swap if you use the lsxtune harness.

I have seen my dodge don't use this shiftlock stuff. So maybe should just forget about it.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can u delete it in the tune?
Old 11-23-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Veteran

It isn't necessary to anything so no need to delete it but just want to have it working if possible like an normal auto one. Its mostly just a safety thing. I have also ordered a parklock cable so can hopefully install that too. The park lock cable means you have to have key in lock turned to be able to get it out of park. That one pretty sure is antitheft feature. The shiftock thing is where you have to put foot on brake to shift out of park with key on. With key off the car goes into any gear.

I can get it to work and not go thru the pnp switch on the shifter I just don't know if need a relay on it to keep it from burning up with direct connection. I guess I just need to know if the shift solenoid is rated to 12 volts ,think it goes thru a relay on the auto cars and not sure what the relay does exactly.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Hmm don't think need to run it thru the pnp switch at all. It seems to work normally when you just run power to it and ground off it.
So really only question is what is this shiftlock solenoid rated for and will it need a relay on it. Obvously it gets power all the time in park when car is switched on if you hook it to switched power. Then when you step on the brake it takes power away so it releases to let you put car in gears other than park.
So wouldn't think it gets any power to it when you are not in park at least not normally but again thats why wondering if some relay is responsible for that . I wish new bit more about how exactly this shiftlock solenoid works.

Quick Reply: t56 to 4l80 swap ,shiftlock question.wiring experts please come in..