Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCC Lock Up Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 02:20 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TCC Lock Up Issue

I wanna make this short and sweet so here it goes...Would a bad/damaged TCC/TCC PWM Solenoid create an apply lock up condtion at WOT in 2nd and 3rd gear? If not what would cause this condition? Currently we have the TCC break circut wire cut at the brake switch to disable it trying to lock crusing in 2nd and 3rd gear where lock up is not commanded either. All opinions welcome....

-Dave
Old 11-29-2009, 05:28 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this a 4l60E or a 4l80E? Have you installed a shift kit in this transmission?

I believe the reason yours is doing what it is might be a mechanical issue not electrical one. If I had to guess I would suspect a cross leak some where in the circuit or a short to ground for the TCC solenoid.

With a 4l60e the trans is capable of locking the TCC in first gear. So in your case if there is a cross leak when the oil pressure gets high enough, the oil is getting into the tcc apply valve circuit in the pump and stroking the valve. Another thing that might be causing this is if the TCC solenoid in the pump is restricted or has a plugged filter in the snout of it.

If you have a 60e.......you could check this by removing the solenoid in the pump and then inspecting the filter and the snout. It might be filled with lock up clutch material. If there is room in the pan area to remove the solenoid leave it out and drive it again. You will have to leave the solenoid out of the pump to do this if that makes sense. This way the solenoid will no longer be used as an orifice for the tcc oil circuit.

If this is an electrical issue remember one thing. The solenoid has power the second you turn the key. With that being said from the solenoid itself all the way to the computer you could have a short to ground. This short will allow the solenoid to activate itself regardless of what the computer is telling it to do. Hope this helps. Vince
Old 11-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to be only upper RPM's in second and third...I all but ruled out electrical short off cutting the wires at the transmission....thanks for the input...guess I'll tell my buddy to start saving for a new trans...