Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing trans dipstick tube ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing trans dipstick tube ?

I'm currently installing a 4l60e in the ta and the problem is i didnt pull the old trans out a shop did so i got everything back in boxes. The dipstick tube doesnt have a rubber gromet on it and i didnt look in the hole in the trans to see if there was one in there so how exactly does the dipstick tube seal into the trans?

the trans is on jacks about ready to bolt up just wanna make sure this tube isn't gonna spray fluid everywhere when i fire it up...
Old 12-12-2009, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should have a grommet on it. If you cant see the area now, reach up there and try to feel for the grommet. You can also try sliding the tube down into the trans and feeling for the slight bump as it snugs into the trans.

If you need a grommet take the tube to VatoZone and try to find a pack of grommets in the "Help!" boxes or whatnot that looks like it will work on the tube. Once the tube is in properly dont forget to secure it to the engine in the proper location so it doesnt blow outta there under a high pressure spike or something.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CoolAid
It should have a grommet on it. If you cant see the area now, reach up there and try to feel for the grommet. You can also try sliding the tube down into the trans and feeling for the slight bump as it snugs into the trans.

If you need a grommet take the tube to VatoZone and try to find a pack of grommets in the "Help!" boxes or whatnot that looks like it will work on the tube. Once the tube is in properly dont forget to secure it to the engine in the proper location so it doesnt blow outta there under a high pressure spike or something.
Ya ended up going to autozone at 9 last night to get the gromet cuz neither my old or new trans had one for some reason. was such a pain in the *** cuz i already had 2 jacks under the trans with it jacked into place ready to be bolted up and i'm doing this by myself on the garage floor so almost dropped the trans a couple times trying to get that dam tube back in the hole with the gromet in there...
Old 12-13-2009, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, when i drop it, i try to leave the tube attached to the block and just drop the trans out. Then when you jack it back into place just guide the tube into the hole. It can be a pain trying to hold 100 things at once.

I understand you didn't have this option, just keep it in mind for next time.