Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do I connect the two hardlines back to the trans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do I connect the two hardlines back to the trans?

Sorry for the stupid question guys, what happened was A shop pulled my blown trans out and I declined repair and installed a used 4l60 in my garage. Well i've never installed a trans before this so i've never messed with the 2 hardlines. All I see are 2 broke looking plastic rings on the lines that look like they should connect to the fitting on the trans but i have no Idea how to do that or if i need new ones or if the shop forgot to give me something to connect those? Tried a search didnt get anything...
Old 12-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01ws666
Sorry for the stupid question guys, what happened was A shop pulled my blown trans out and I declined repair and installed a used 4l60 in my garage. Well i've never installed a trans before this so i've never messed with the 2 hardlines. All I see are 2 broke looking plastic rings on the lines that look like they should connect to the fitting on the trans but i have no Idea how to do that or if i need new ones or if the shop forgot to give me something to connect those? Tried a search didnt get anything...
unless im wrong i believe theres clips that hold the lines in and the plastic slides in over the clips to keep them in place
Old 12-13-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If i remember right, there should be 2 E clips. You put the lines into the fitting, slide the clips into the slots on the fittings, then the plastic thing locks in over em, to keep them from coming out.. Those little bastards can be a pain in the ***.. Atleast they were when i installed my Level 2.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:29 PM
11 Second Club

You put those clips on the Trans fittings before you get the Trans in. Once the trans is up the lines pop into the fittings. The 2 plastic things are retaining clips and just clip on over the fittings.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99LSS1
You put those clips on the Trans fittings before you get the Trans in. Once the trans is up the lines pop into the fittings. The 2 plastic things are retaining clips and just clip on over the fittings.
Dam wish I would have known that lol. connecting these 2 lines are a pain in the ***! the servo and dipstick tube are right in the way...
Old 12-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Launching!

okay found the e-clips but forgive me for being a dumb *** but how do the clips go in the fitting do you compress them and drop them in the top or do they slide into the slots in the side of the fitting?
Old 12-13-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

they slide into and around the outside of the fitting thats screwd into the tranny, be very careful not to rip the O ring when you push it in, the line needs to go in very strait. they are one of the bigges Mother Fuc*ers of an Fbody so keep at it and be patient. ive done this a few times in my garage, including last weekend lol.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CarsandWomen
they slide into and around the outside of the fitting thats screwd into the tranny, be very careful not to rip the O ring when you push it in, the line needs to go in very strait. they are one of the bigges Mother Fuc*ers of an Fbody so keep at it and be patient. ive done this a few times in my garage, including last weekend lol.
I have done quite a few myself, and you are correct they are kind of a pain.. Have to line them up very straight and sometimes force them in.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:19 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Install video

Old 12-13-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol Vince ur the bomb at posting pics and vids
Old 12-13-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Install video

This will sure save some time on tranny re installation. I always thought you had to push the line in then put the clips in
Old 12-13-2009, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

Yeeeeup, the single worst thing to do on a trans install (when you've never done it before). Those thingies took me over an hour the first time between removing and reinstalling them. The lines would NOT come out, then they would not go in. You have to do it super straight or it will not work.

And don't lose them....everyone loses them. I had to search for 20 minutes once.

That video should be mandatory viewing for anyone that even owns a 4l60e.