Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fresh Rebuild 60e slips in reverse only

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fresh Rebuild 60e slips in reverse only

I was trying to help a guy out and I rebuilt his 60e for his 95 truck for free (why do I do this... anyways). Upon install Everything works good, at light throttle rev held but once you need to back up an incline or put a load on the truck and put in reverse it slips. All forward gears hold good. So i did some investigating, dropped the valve body, and using pressurized air (90psi) checked operation of the reverse input, forward clutch, low/rev clutch, and 3/4 clutch pistons to ensure they locked up and unlocked when pressure was removed. Could hear all pistons move and clamp the packs and then unlock when pressure was removed. The snap ring for the pressure regulator was seated properly (I had one slip in rev right after a rebuild before and the snap ring just wasnt seated all the way). Next I checked the Valve body and per ATSG manual, checked the 2-3 shift valve, and the forward shift valve all was assembled properly and all valves moved freely through their entire operation.

Im trying to think of anything else before I pull the trans, I figured it could be torn turbine seals though I do have the proper sizing tools for them and none of the forward gears seam to be effected.

Any of you pro's have any other items to check or ideas?

Your help is greatly appreciated by me! and my buddy (he wants his truck)!!! THANKS FELLAS!
Old 12-15-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Teflon sealing rings on the back of the stator tube cut or damaged?
Snap ring for reverse input return spring came out of groove?
Shift linkage adjusted properly?
Spacer plate and gaskets damaged or mispositioned?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would also make sure the small plate under solenoids at rear of trans 3 8mm bolts are tight .
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Old 12-15-2009, 01:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for future reference 90psi on an air check is a little much it can give you a false reading you should get a good thud with about 20-30 psi is all I use. 90 psi even with a leak will give you the thud and mask a small leak
Free Cooler, Free shipping always, 2 year warranty Trans/Coverter combos, No Core or Core charge, $150 LS1 core buy back, All trans Dyno Tested to Be sure it works when you get it.Customer videos, Tech Thread, Open 7 Days a Week! Call or http://opi.yahoo.com/online?u=performabuilt&m=g&t=2Click Banner for Website.
Not Just Built.....PerformaBuilt!